History of the Swastika

My MIL has a quilt her great great grandmother made that has the swastika symbol all over it. The quilt is over two hundred years old, what was the meaning of this symbol to her when she made it, she was English.

I know the symbol is very ancient and was used a lot in India, Russia and China. I thought it meant luck.

I'm not familiar with the significance of the symbol in Great Britain.

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• England had a huge presence in China and India at that time period, so it may be a borrowed symbol.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I can only speak for Indians/Hindus. For us, the swastika is a symbol of good luck and prosperity. It's a symbol that is also associated with many of the Gods/Goddesses, for example: Ganesha is seen quite often with a swastika because Ganesha is a God that removes all obstacles and helps bring luck and prosperity. The Goddess Lakshmi who is the Goddess of wealth/prosperity is often seen with a swastika somewhere in the image. I have many prayer shawls that have swastikas on them, and I have many in my home ans symbols of prosperity,wealth, health and good luck. Giving a coconut with a red swastika painted on it during a baby shower (the tradtionatl 7mth shower) is also commone amongst Indians/Hindus a sign/symbol of the future prosperity of the child that is to be born.

The swastika is a very old, very deeply meaning symbol for many in the world.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• http://history1900s.about.com/cs/swastika/a/swastikahistory.htm
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My son just got a history lesson on this subject. He was told by his teacher that the symbol is originially of Indian decent.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I believe it was meant for unity and peace. I learned from Girl's State that in WW1 our soldiers had a swastika on there shoulder and instead of placing our hand over our heart for the pledge, we held out our right arm with palm up to honor the flag. The Nazi's would salute palm down.

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It was used a symbol of luck and is passed from Indian culture throughout the world...We have a quilt that was given to us when we got married which has the swastika on it and we never found it to be offensive however some of our friends have and are happy to tell us that it is bad.

Anonymous

• Buddhists use it as a a sign of good fortunes, as well as Buddha's heart and the Buddha's foot prints...
    http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhism/symbols/swastika.htm
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 3:04 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I'm sure you're right ballawel. It just surprised me because their family had lived in this country for a long time,  it isn't oftenseen in arly American art, that I'm aware of.

RyansMom001

Comment by RyansMom001 (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2010