vaccinating ?'s

hi.. i am preggo with my first and i am very against vaccinating my baby. i wanna hold off all shots until 2 years old... for ppl who also do not vaccinate, are there any issues with not vaccinating??? anything that i need to be prepared for? just any advice.. please and thankyou.

1sttimemom2011

Asked by 1sttimemom2011 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• just out of curiosity, why are you against vaccinating?
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 1:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Do your research, make sure that you are looking at both pro's and con sites.

You also don't have to hold off until 2, you can do a delayed vaccinating schedule, here's a good delayed vax schedule and site...

http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/

http://www.whattoexpect.com/blogs/awaitingbabyandbeyond/dr-sears-alternative-vaccine-schedule-news-to-me

I have no personal experience but know a few people who have chosen this route.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 2:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• make sure you discuss this with your potential ped's.... some have policies and will only accept vaccinated children. If you plan to return to work make sure you know the vaccination requirements for child care in your state as well..
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:08 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• i want my babies immune system to be more developed when i start to vaccinate.. me choosing to wait until a certain age is completely my choice. i would never vaccinate if it was allowed in TN.. we have to vaccinate them for school unless religious beliefs or health issues are a problem.. which neither are. i have thought about homeschooling down the road.
    1sttimemom2011

Comment by 1sttimemom2011 (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I support your right to hold off and parents who choose not to. But when I see infants who have died of things like whooping cough...it is a sure sign to me I want to vaccinate. I also had my son have N1H1 before the vaccination was available last year. He has a 105 temp and was sick for four weeks. VERY sick. And people just laughed and brushed off the idea of the flu. Look, I am a big advocate that parents should choose but what are the issues of not vaccinating? Well, if other kids are around yours and they too are not vaccinated (and we usually are friends with people who have similar mind sets) your child, as an infant, is at extreme risk for things like RSV, whooping cough, the measles....ect. Since you will most likely go out with your child once your baby is born, and you can't tell if all the other of kids and adults are vaccinated in the store, you put your infant at risk.  But that is YOUR choice. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I was grateful for the vaccinations available for my (2) children. I believed it was my durt to help protect them with vaccines available to prevent diseases that could cause serious diseases to them, such as polio, measles and chicken pox.
    25beengoodtome

Answer by 25beengoodtome at 2:29 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I have seen dead infants. And kids with whooping cough and other serious illnesses that put them at risk for death. You just have to be aware of who your child is around and what they are carrying around with them. Its like playing Russian Roulette. Perhaps your baby won't get anything - but maybe your baby will. I also met a severely retarded child with so many issues because mom got sick while pregnant, with a disease that has a vaccination available, and the child will now have to live with the consequences for the rest of their life.  I have a ton of friends who don't vax, quote me all kinds of quotes, and are comfortable with their decisions.  Okay.  I respect that.  I just don't allow their children to play with my son at certain times depending on what season it is and what my son's booster schedule needs.  I have to protect my child too.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I wasn't saying you didn't have a right to choose. I was asking because A LOT of parents are basing that choice off of an article that some guy wrote YEARS AGO and that has since been disproved. Getting vaccinated does not hurt your childs immune system or its ability to grow, that was a false result from bad research. The guy even sent out another article publicly apologizing and saying that his research was wrong. So I'm not putting you down or saying you have no choice, I'm just saying make sure its a fully aware choice because its your childs life at stake.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 2:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• one of my ds was behind on his shots due to breathing issues his doc decided to start giving him his shots every few months...HOWEVER i can not stress this enough if you choose to no vax be VERY VERY VERY careful on doubling up on shots my son is now autistic from doubling up shots and things of that nature...YES YOUR CHILD CAN DEVELOP A MENTAL ILLNESS IF NOT VACCINATED PROPARLY!!! do your research b4 u make ur decision GL
    hiswifey0725

Answer by hiswifey0725 at 2:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• hiswifey...no offense, and I am sorry your child lives with a diability - but if you could really prove that you would have a hell of a settlement. The reality is you CAN'T prove it was the vaccine. No one can. I have known tons of kids with autism who had parents who did not vax.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:58 PM on Nov. 29, 2010