If there was a breast pump that could be concealed under your shirt, would you continue to work at your desk or would you still get up and go to a private location?

mbarkley87

Asked by mbarkley87 at 2:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I probably wouldn't have stopped breast feeding when I came back to work if there was something like this. I would be wherever I needed to be at the moment.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:09 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Go to a private location. How could it be totally concealed? And you would have to open your shirt to put it on and take it off.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:09 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I would still go to another area. Working and pumping is not very productive. Work can stress you out and if you are doing that when you are trying to relax to pump, I don't see how it would be very effective.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:11 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I pumped at my desk 3 times daily, while answering the phones and typing :)
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I am a designer and I am trying to design a breast pump for the working mother. I am just trying to get some mother input. I am just wondering if it would be convenient, AND more private if there was a pump that was comfortable enough to wear all day (Like the freemie pump but smaller). Also, I think we could do away with bottles. Im playing around with ways to pump directly into a storage bag, and then that bag can be sealed and stored, or set into a bottle.
    mbarkley87

Comment by mbarkley87 (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Just another thought...how would you conceal the nipple shields under a shirt? I was a size 36I when I was nursing so I can't imagine how you could hide them very well.
    It would be nice to have one that was a little quieter (used the medela) and the sound of the motor was distracting. also the set up can be a pain. How about an easier shirt to attach the nipple covers too to make it hands free? I had one and it was a bit of a pain to attach everything, zip up, and position your nips in the cups.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• The shield itself is large because it attaches to a valve and then house a place to screw in the bottle. The valve could become flatter and smaller if the bottle was taken out of the picture, and the shield could become something that contours to your breast kind of like one of those inserts women put in their bra to make there breast bigger.
    mbarkley87

Comment by mbarkley87 (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• There already is something out there that would allow that - it's like a bra that holds the sheilds on so you still have 2 free hands while pumping - making it possible to keep your shirt down over it and keep working while pumping. Doesn't take much to attach and detach everything, doesn't require a huge show to get the job done.
    Anonymous

• Yes but isn't it noticeable that you have a breast pump on under your shirt?

mbarkley87

Comment by mbarkley87 (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2010