Is it wrong to have a five year old in the delivery room?

My 4 year old SS (will be five when baby is born) is fascinated with birthing shows on TV. He loves watching births. My SO and I have decided not to prevent him from seeing births on TV since he does not find it disturbing.

Last night my SO's ex wife said that if we want she will take her son while I am giving birth. She is a neglectful mother and as little time with her as possible is best.

We don't have family near by or anything, so is it wrong to have a five year old in the delivery room? Or should we send him home with mommy for that time.

Both options are not ideal, but which is better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Even if he is not disturbed by the whole birth process....do you really want him to see you go through it? Does he need to see his step mother (sorry if this is tacky) with legs up pushing out a baby?

Maybe you can send him home w/mom just for the time of you having the baby and he can come right back? Or do you have a close friend who can watch him in the waiting room just while you get to the pushing?
    Anonymous

• umm probaly not in the actaul birthing room. but its way up to you. if he is really facinated with it and dad is ok, then why not? it would be agreat expericence for him to bond with you and the new bby! good luck!
    tiffany275

Answer by tiffany275 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• IMO, yes and no but it's really up to you and your dh as to what you feel your ds can handle. It could go either way.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I would also say no... that's kind of gross. I don't mean that to be rude but he doesn't need to see all that at 5 years old...but it's up to you.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I liked birthing shows too... until I saw the real thing. In real life, this may be WAY scary to a 5 YO, especially if it someone he knows going through it
    Kelly_n_Payton

Answer by Kelly_n_Payton at 3:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• i didnt even know they allowed that. I dont think it is good for the child. He might be ok with watching it on tv but actually seeing it LIVE i think it might be a little much IMO.
    Anonymous

• Things on tv usually go pretty well, or are edited (at least the stuff I have seen). The birth it self may not concern you, but if you have any sort of delievery like I did you would not want a 5 year old to see you in that kind of pain. Maybe you could have him at the hospital with an extra person who can take him in and out as you feel needed. If you don't have anyone who could do this I would recomend not having him there.
    Anonymous

• I don't think hospitals allow that.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I am sorry but I think you should really not have to ask that question. Do you really think it is appropriate to have a 5 year old seeing private parts of his mom or stepmom AND GOD FORBID something start happening to you or your baby DO YOU REALLY WANT YOUR 5 YEAR OLD TO SEE AND WORRY and to see you in sooo much pain.... I understand the amazing body and kids being fascinated but I just could not imagine this. Sorry......
    miko1982

Answer by miko1982 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• you could have him in the room but just not down there but up by ur head. They usually don't let kids in the room while ur in labor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Nov. 6, 2008