Would you still pay ?

We just built our dream house... and I wanted to really make my kid's rooms nice... I have photos of things I wanted painted on their walls ( I wanted it to look like pastel flower vines and butterflies on my daughter's walls and a vintage looking road and cars painted on my sons walls ) ..... I found the perfect pictures of exactly what I wanted... I found a person who paints murals and such for people's homes and had some really nice photos ( she has a small website) ...... I loved how she had done the painting in her "portfolio" ( i am really thinking she copied those pictures) ...

So when we met she was very nice and I had a good feeling... I was to pay her $1000 , $500 now, $500 when she was done......

So I gave her the first $500 .... I didnt go into the rooms until she was all done and I was not so happy... they look horrible... I honestly think a kid could of done it better, there are alot of smudges, alot of paint runs and just very sloppy and not even the right sizes ........ I do think that it is fine for her to keep the $500 because she spent 2 weeks on them..... BUT I dont think I should pay her the second especially since we are painting over it and have to do it all over again !

I explained this to her - that I appriciate that she took time to do but she didnt do it right and that it looks sloopy and we have to redo... that she can keep the 500 but we wont pay her the rest... and now she is threatning to take it to small claims

Do you think we have a case?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• did you have a contract?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Isn't that the purpose of paying the other half after their done. To make sure you are satisfied?
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• take pics of the paint job Im curious as to how they turned out! Also you will need alot of pics just incase she takesyou to court. be sure you have pics of up close "mistakes" and that the camera has the date feature. I think if it really is a terriblejob then you will win in small claims. Also be sure you have copies of any correspondence or samples you gave her so they will know exactly what she was supposed to do.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Wow. I'm sorry, how awful. If it isn't up to your expectations then I would have her do it again. If it's just awful, I'd cover it, paint it all white again and have her come back and redo it. Did you directly point out the flaws that you were unhappy with? Do you happen to have pictures?
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 2:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think you should have checked on it after she left every day. You could make her clean up the paint drips and smudges, but I think you have to pay her. She did the work.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• i think you have a case, especially if you can compare the quality between the portfolio and actual work done.
    if it does go to small claims court, then be sure to sue her for the cost to re do the room as well as the court expenses.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• If you are not satisfied. Do not pay the rest. Take pictures of her work.

Answer by louise2 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Well it's going to cost her more than $500 to take it to small claims court so let her if she wants. Take pictures of her finished work and the repaint.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 2:26 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Take pictures of the sloppy work and don't pay her the rest of the money. If you do go to court then you have your proof she didn't do the job right and you did pay her for her time. I am a painter as well and I am very meticulous on how my work looks. Runs and smudges do not go towards artistic license. It's a sign of laziness.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• No I would not. Not if it's sloppy.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2010