Who should tech them?

ok so i am in a science 101 class for school and one of the major debates is who should be teaching our kids sex education? ALOT of my fellow class mated think t should be on the schools!! I my self feel like they are my kids & I dont want them going to a stranger to find out these things....not to mention sex ed doesn't teach about feelings and love and things along those lines they teach the basic where babies come from SOME methods of birth control & so on...so what do you ladies think should we as parents step up & start being the main teacher in our childs sex education?? or leave it to the schools??

hiswifey0725

Asked by hiswifey0725 at 2:26 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it should be up to the parents..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• schools.
    Anonymous

• I think it has to be done in the schools because so many parents just wouldn't do/say anything, which is sad. I have already covered everything with my kids that they will be talking about in school (they are in 4th and 5th, in the spring of 5th grade they do a "sex ed" section in health), and was able to include my views on things. I think parents SHOULD do it, but some of them won't and the kids need to learn about it somewhere.

Answer by missanc at 2:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I am their parent and I feel it should be up to me! BUT with that said there are a lot of parents out there who just say nothing and let their kids figure it out for themselves so I do feel it is necessary to have it in school.
    tnt1014

Answer by tnt1014 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I feel like it is our responsibilty. I think some kids would listen more to someone else besides parents.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:34 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Both. Sex is a wonderful thing but it can also be used as a weapon. We need to do a good job educating children on both. When we don't teach both they don't understand things like date rape by a steady boyfriend or the third grader who is raped by her step dad every night since she was in kindergarten. Each time I did a presentation in a class it was amazing how many kids would come forward with a situation that is very serious. They won't get that at home. Not all sex or sexual acts is love. But not all sex is a crime. So it is important both be taught at age appropriate development in a way they can understand. Starting from toddler to up into college. It should be an ongoing talk, open communication, and a community issue. I live in an area where sex information is only taught at home. Gee...I have no idea why we have the highest rates of rape, domestic violence, and teen pregnancy.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think both. Parents should have an open on-going discussion with their children about it, but I also believe it should be taughth in schools. I know some kids would feel more comfortable asking questions in class, than at home to their parents.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Me personally.

I believe in fully encompassing/comprehensive sex education in schools. I do not view this as a morality issue, as a religious issue or even a parental rights issue. I view sex ed as a Public health and safety issue.

Children/teens who are un-educated or under-educated (who grow up to be under educated adults) in regards to : sex, safer sex practices, safer sex choices, BC/usage/types, STD and all that comes with them, responsible sexual behaviour, irresponsible sexual behaviour & all the reprecussions/consequences of, sexual boundaries, respecting yourself and others, understanding your own & others sexuality..ect.. Are not only a potential danger for themselves, but to others as well. Also, the consequences/reprecussions of these things do not just affect that one teen/adult in the situation, in most cases society as a whole is affected & pays for these things in one way or another.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:15 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• definately the parents but the school can be a second option for information only.
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 3:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2010