How long and how often do you get to pump at work? How long does it take to set up your pump? Does that cut into your time?

mbarkley87

Asked by mbarkley87 at 2:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• For a 20 minute pump session (dual pump) it normally takes 40 minutes from set up to clean up.

I pumped about every 3 hours.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• do you get coompensated for your breaks, and is there a lactation room?
    mbarkley87

Comment by mbarkley87 (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• When I was pumping at work, I could finish the whole job in 15 minutes. Here's the trick: Never wash anything. Have as many sets of funnels as you have pump sessions in a day. I had three for my Lactina. Dirties got tossed into a plastic bag and washed at home. I could set up in less than a minute, tear down even faster than that, which left me the bulk of the 15 minutes to pump. And I always went for time rather than amount.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Another trick: I stopped using the Lactina's case. The funnels went into a bag that was easier to deal with than that stupid case. The Lactina had a handle and could be carried on its own. No lactation room; small strange setup with a bathroom that was cleaner than my mom's house! (And she was a clean freak.) I used my regular break time, but was salaried so no clocking anyway.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:52 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I am salary so I got compensated but I also worked more hours that I got paid for. They provided 2 areas for pumping. One was a conference room with a lock and the other was the first aid room (only as a back up).
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Great tip gdiamante! I'll have to remember that with the next one.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I pumped 2x a day and it took about 20 minutes each time. This includes walking there (1 minute), set up (2 minutes), pumping and wash up/walk back (2 minutes). I took 2 sets of "horns" so I didn't have to clean the parts - I could save that until I got home.

Once the child is 8 months old I go to 1 pumping per day.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 3:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2010