seeing grandpa-first time with grandpa- help with girls- how to handle

My mom and my grandpa will be here sat. Well lost grandma just last april. First time girls will see my grandpa. At the time they were 5,6, and 8. Two have had birthdays since then. Should I talk to the girls about things. Cause not sure they understood a funeral. How do I prevent them asking something like where is grandma? or even something different. Help any advice for me.

momindiana

Asked by momindiana at 2:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• It's okay if they ask. You answer them in a calm, quiet way using whatever words work for your family. In my family we say things like "Grandma is in heaven no. Remember she got sick and God took her there so she wouldn't hurt and be sick anymore" They are old enough to begin grasping concepts of death. Maybe a talk before company arrives would help.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Definitely tell them that she died and won't be coming! They will ask questions. Just answer them honestly. But you have to prepare them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• You might talk to your mom first, and ask how your grandfather is doing, and if the kids will upset him if they ask about grandma. Then I would just sit down with them, and ask if they remember grandma and grandpa, and that grandma died, if they have any questions, and tell them that they get to see great grandpa (if your mom says he can't handle questions about grandma well) tell them that grandpa is still sad about losing grandma so maybe it's not a good time to ask about her....but if your mom says he's doing okay, then just let them be, he may be happy they remember her.

I'm so sorry about your loss, I'm sure your mom and grandfather will appreciate your sensitivity. Enjoy your visit.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Let them ask whatever they want. Grandpa is probably expecting it. He'll be fine. It will all work out

Answer by admckenzie at 2:52 PM on Nov. 29, 2010