breastfeeding vs. formula...

i am expeting twins and idk how i shud feed them. when i thpught i just pregant with one, i was like well hell yes i am going to breastfeed, becuase it offers benfits for both mom and babies, but noqw i am haveing 2. shoudl i bottle feed or breast feed? will i have enough milk to keep both of them full?

tiffany275

Asked by tiffany275 at 3:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I think you should try and breast feed. Yes, you will have enough milk. There are plenty of women who breast feed twins. I'm not saying it will be easy. I only had one and it is a challenge to get started. I recomend joining a breastfeeding suport group. Check to see if there is one at your hospital or find a Le Leche League group. If it turns out it is just too much for you, at least you can say you tried.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 3:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Your body usually produces enough milk to sustain the needs of a hungry baby or babies. If you're worried you could pump your breasts and store it for later use to make sure that your babies get enough. I'd say go for the breast feeding and pump in the meantime and store it!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 3:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• you will make how much they need i you feed them but if you are worried you could always do both or just pump im sure it will be hard to feed both.
    Anonymous

• your body will produce as much milk as you take out. I've known mom's of triplets who bf with total success.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 3:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I say if at all humanly possible, breast feed. Your body should produce enough and if you need to supplement with formula, so be it. I did not BF my first, and she is more than healthy and perfectly fine. Myself and my 3 other siblings were not BF either and we were all perfectly healthy. I do however, plan to BF my 2nd as that is what SO wants me to at least try.
    Kelly_n_Payton

Answer by Kelly_n_Payton at 3:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• You will be able to provide milk as long as you eat enough to feed yourself and both of them. However, with two you might want to mix a little formula in there so that once one is out if the other wakes up you don't necessarily be the one to handle it. But you need to get both of them to do it and they say your suppose to hold off on the bottle until 3 + weeks go by so that the babies know how to breast feed.. you don't want them to get lazy.. or maybe one of them won't want to breast feed and you will be stuck bottle feeding them... which isn't that bad because after you get your milk going you could also use a breast pump and give the babies it that way..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 3:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Breastfeed!!! It is hard work, just stay away from the bottle. Make that clear at the hospital as well.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Most definitely you'll have enough milk. Your body produces on demand, so it'll provide enough milk for 2 even 3 if it had to. I am BFing twins right now and it's going great. There's a BFing pillow called EZ2nurse twins that is a great size and makes feeding both at the same time very do-able
    misty1_sd

Answer by misty1_sd at 5:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Im breastfeeding twins now and it's going just fine. I was talking with a mom the other day who had her single baby the day before my twins were born. She said she didn't think she was making enough milk, that she only gets about 2 ounces, both breasts together. I told her that sounded right for one baby, because I get 2 ounces PER breast. Our babies were still newborns, so that's about all they are eating right now (going up to 3 ounces now though)... So anyhow, your body will make enough. I dont even have to pump to make more, and I definately wouldnt suggest pumping while you are still preg with twins. That could cause pre mature labor.
    PorcelainMom81

Answer by PorcelainMom81 at 5:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2008