Why is naptime/bedtime such a hard thing now??? It never was before..

Okay, I have a one year old daughter and usually
when it comes to nap time or even bedtime she
would lay right down and go to sleep with no problem
at all.. Here latley when it comes to nap time or bedtime
she doesn't want to lay down. When you go to
lay her down she'll scream on the top of her lungs and
cry.. And get back up.. And the only way she'll go to sleep
is to be rocked or layed on the couch. Also we don't
rock her to sleep or let her lay down on the couch so that's
why this is unusual. We never let her be held
too much or lay on the couch to go to sleep..
Do why all of a sudden is she doing this?
Is there anything that will help with this problem??
Please help me..

Thanks,
Maria "Bestmomtobeever"

bestmomtobeever

Asked by bestmomtobeever at 3:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Kids will always go through phases like this. I dont usually fight this type of thing b/c THIS TOO SHALL PASS :) WHat I mean is why fight what will soon change anyways. Just lay her on the couch for a while...then in a few weeks try her bed again....lifes too short to worry about insignificant things :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:06 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Does he have a routine before bed? Like bath, book, bed kind of thing? Now that she is older she might need more routine to help her get into the "going to bed" mood (if that makes sense). Do the SAME thing at around the SAME time every night. Whenever kids go though a developmental or growing stage they can get cranky. I have found keeping my son/daughter on a routine has helped to minimize this fussiness.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 3:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Both my kids went through this. My son would do it if we had company over because he didn't want to miss anything. LOL. But I would just let him cry, same with my daughter. Their crying didn't bother me because I knew it was only because they didnt' want to go to bed, too bad, so sad. Now if they weren't feeling good, if they weren't tired, if they were scared etc....that was different. But as a mom we know our kids cry. And as one mom pointed out, this too shall pass lol. Just stay consistant.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:16 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• my dd is doing this crap now as well...all of a sudden she screams holy hell when i put her down. Well I dont really care, she is gonna lay in there and just go on to sleep!! She is still in her crib so she cant escape! HA....
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 3:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My little one is doing this too! God I hope it's just a phase. DF & I had to move her crib into the living room so we can get some sleep!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• When my son was between 1-3 he did it as well. Especially after we put him in his own toddler bed.. WOW was it hell... he would scream bloody murder. Opening the door and stand there waiting to be caught. scream when put back. come out and sit next to me and think its ok.. mommy not mad.. get up and put him back.. it would go on for hours!!!!!!!!! sometimes when he finally stayed in there.. id check on him and he be on his little carpet that has car tracks on. with his cars, passed out with his butt in the air!! sooooooo cute.. it will pass.. my son was stubborn so it took a while..... Good luck
    mommyoftristan

Answer by mommyoftristan at 5:26 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• You mentioned your daughter is about one year old. That's about the time that separation anxiety issues begin. Spending a few minutes of snuggle time might help, but it might also create a behavior habit hard to break. Learning to self comfort is a skill children need to learn too. Checking on her starting at 5 minutes then adding 3 to 5 minutes with each time you go back and re-check is one successful technique to training children toward self comforting. In my classroom (I've taught day care for 20+ years) what worked best for me was having recorded stories playing in the back ground. I finally even began a line of my own CD's (Naptime Nanny), and hope to make more. It might help to record your own voice reading a book and play that at nap and bed time for her.
    NaptimeNanny

Answer by NaptimeNanny at 9:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2010