Does anyone really know the true you?

Do people know everything about you? Do you have some stuff that you don't share with others.
I have never told anyone the extent of my emotional abuse while growing up. DH knows some things but i haven't told him everything (married for 26 years) because I don't think it really matters. There is nothing he can do to change the past. I don't even think my siblings understand what I went thru because they were also emotionally abusive towards me. I am always amazed at how children all growing up in the same household have totally different memories.
I also never share my feelings with anyone, I figure no one really cares what I am thinking or feeling so why share with them. I realized this is because of my childhood but it is the way that I feel.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• I think someone always cares but no, no one knows the real me there are thimgs I won't tell anyone. I understand how you feel the past is the past
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 3:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• my mother. she is the only person who knows me and is the only person who i share things with. she understands my point of view and doesnt look for ways to be offended by what i believe or take interest in.
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 3:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Aww Im sorry you feel like no one wants to know your feelings. I dont tell everyone everything but I have a close friend I could share anything with. I could tell hubby abything but I dont always think he would "get it" so I dont bother iwth some things lol. I too had abuse in my past and it pops up and affects me still even when I try to not let it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• No one but my mother and ex know everything about me. I have been married almost 4 years and my husband comes from a good family. He has made comments about people who have had my past and I just have not told him. My ex was my world for 7 years and then did me wrong even knowing my past so I just have not mentioned it again. My mother knows everything and helps me through my battles I need to tells my husband one day soon I want us to share everything.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 3:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My husband does. He knows me better than I know myself, LOL!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 3:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• there is 1 person on Earth who knows 90% of me, including my worst secrets..... but our friendship is not possible anymore since he has turned into an alcoholic over the last few years and I would never want that around my kids

I am happily married for 7yrs now BUT he doesn't know ME me.... like deep dark dirty secrets, hidden dreams, or inner most thoughts/desires.

I am pretty much a puppet, being what different people need or want me to be.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think everyone hides some part of themselves.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:18 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• No one knows everything about me except me. There will always be things I keep to myself. Everyone has that little piece of themself that they can't share or choose not to share.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My husband knows everything about me, all of the stuff I went through growing up and all of the stuff I've been through as an adult. He is the only person who knows me the way he does.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• No, of course not.

It's not possible to accurately convey 100% of a life to another person --at least not until telepathy is possible. It's one of the things I recognized early on in my mothering: I can't even know my kids completely because they cannot express (and there isn't time to express) all of what they're thinking, feeling and coming to understand...

I found out years ago that my main reason for living is to know myself... and everything I do it toward that end. I don't think it's even possible to know anyone else that way.

And I agree with you: leave the past where it is, and make today's decisions be about today's goals for tomorrow. Knowing there's nothing we can do about the past is a giant step closer to happiness.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2010