give back

Is it wrong for me to be hurt when my loved one died without a will everything that held my memories was given to others even when i asked for them and the only thing given to me is a few gag gifts i had given him over the years

mommydown

Asked by mommydown at 3:18 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• I would be hurt.. even though it is not uncommon for people to go without a will.. I think the entire family should have discussed where the belongings went.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• no not at all. they should of left a will. hope everyone has one. i don't but i have nothing to give away. sorry for your loss.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• No, it's not wrong to be hurt but I don't really think there is a lot you can do about it. Maybe you can talk to relatives who got the items you really wanted and let them know if the choose to get rid of them at some point you would really appreciate them.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I would not be hurt about not getting anything from the person who died. If the material things had mattered that much to that person they would have left a will to make sure the ywent to the people that they thought would like them. If there was something in particular you wanted, like the pp said, just let the person who has it know that if they want to get rid of it at any point you would like it.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I don't think it's reasonable (or kind) to expect the other people who loved him to give up anything.

It's sad that he died intestate, but that's not their fault, anymore than it's your's.

If everything had been lost in the fire, who would you expect to hand over things to you?

You have to know that the things are not your lover... and they're not your memory of your lover, either. They're just things. Endeavor to not be hurt by the absence of things, or you'll find endless reasons to suffer.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Sorry for your lose. My husband went through the same thing last year when his mom died. He has 2 sisters and a brother. He got whatever they didn't want.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2010