For Christians/others who believe in Heaven . . .

Why do you grieve at funerals? I've heard people say so often, when someone dies, that s/he has gone on to a better place and that Heaven is the Great Reward--that God has taken his child to be with him. If Heaven is so great, if the goal in life is go to Heaven when you die, then why grieve for the loss of a loved one, if you believe that the reward for a good life is to spend eternity in Heaven? Why fight death if Heaven is a better place? Why not greet death with a smile and feel happy when those you love have "moved on" to a better place?  Why not celebrate instead?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 3:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Because we are separated from them, and humans form bonds with loved ones. You can be happy they are with God, but you can still miss them.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 3:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• We do, but its still hard and sad when you lose someone you love and that has been part of your life, thats human nature.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I've told DH that I want him to throw a party when I die. It SHOULD be a homecoming. I do think people cry though, because they are being left by a loved one, rather than a loved one loosing something.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I am happy for them, but sad for myself (a little selfish but it's human nature) because I will miss them.

Answer by missanc at 3:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Have you ever lost anyone close to you? It is hard, yes we know they are in a better place. We still have to figure out how to make it through without them.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Because we are only human and still have emotions. Yes logically we should rejoyce when our loved ones go on to meet the Lord, but you still miss them.. After the grieving process we do usually see through it and become comforted that they have gone to a better place.
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 3:46 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I do, but I'm also sad to lose the person. If I know they were saved and that they are with our Lord and the Father, then I do rejoice, especially when they were suffering. It's harder when they die because of a tragedy.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 3:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• The same reason people grieve when they lose a spouse in divorce, a friend decides to end a friendship and so on.
    It has to do with being separated. Yet I rejoice that those that I definitely know are Christian before they died are with Jesus dancing and singing on the streets of Gold and having a good time. They are waiting for US to come as well.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Because I loved that person and I can not hug them any longer. It is a temporarily severed bond.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:52 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Beautiful answers! I can't add anything my beautiful sisters in Christ haven't already said. God bless you all!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 3:52 PM on Nov. 29, 2010