How can I teach my son to talk? He is four and is delayed

alangel17

Asked by alangel17 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Has he been evaluated? Have you tried or considered speech therapy?
    Anonymous

• is he autistic?
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 3:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My 2 1/2 year old DD has speech delays. We had her evaluated through the county and have a meeting in a week and a half to find out what classes they are going to put her in. They told me that when a child has true delays, the most frustrating thing is that they often do not accept any help from the parents and outside intervention is needed. This is SO true with my DD (she cries every time we try to do a speech exercise with her). Look at your school county's website. Our area for special needs is called Child Find. Call or email them and set up an appointment. The good news is that is all FREE if they qualify. Our tax dollars finally put to good use!
    icook

Answer by icook at 5:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• The first thing I recommend is talk to his doctor about having him tested. If there is nothing wrong with him then get him into speech therapy. When you talk to him talk to him as if he were your spouse and make him ask for things. For instant I babysit a 4 yr old who refuses to talk. I make him lunch and dinner and if he wants more he has to ask "more please" but because he refuse to say please he does not get seconds. He wont say "help" so I don't help. If your son wants a drink make him say "drink please" and if all you get is drink let him have it.
    Anonymous

• For something that you yourself can do, Read to him. Read to him. Read to him. Kids want to emulate what they see and hear. Delays or not, have to patience to make him talk through reminding him to "use his words" . Help him point things out that he sees and then say the words. Engage him in his enviroment. Use descriptive language with him. Like if he wants something describe it to him. "Do you want the big yellow cup with the monkey or the little green sippy with the fish?" Find his interest and then milk it!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 1:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• we have had him tested for things the next step is autism after we have this insurence figured out. He is in speech therapy in preschool. I try the drink please all the time never works and i read to him everyday. Nothing i do seems to work and the only kids he is around is in school and i dont know any one around my area who has kids his age. He is learning sighnlanguage in school but it seems to be helping kinda so how could i do both? he brings me to everything he wants and puts my hand on it. i tell him what it is but never heard him ever say the word for the item. its frustrating with family involvement bc everyone talked on time they are acting as if it is my fault. i try not and listen to them but any help on a good way to teach him?
    alangel17

Answer by alangel17 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2008