Do you know this riddle rhyme?

My grandmother knows this from her childhood (brings it back to the 1920s) but has no idea how old it was or where she heard it. Any hints would be great.

"The elephant has a great big trunk, but it doesn't carry his clothes. It has no lock and it has no key, but he takes it where ever he goes."

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 4:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• What is your question? Or are you trying to make sense of it? In which case, wouldn't it be something like "What has a great big trunk..." and you have to guess that the answer is elephant? Makes more sense to me.
    Anonymous

• No I am trying to find out where it came from. Who wrote it is it part of a larger work anything.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Okay, I get it. I read your whole thing but kind of missed that. I have no idea. Have you tried googling it?
    Anonymous

• So I googled the whole line. Came up with more stuff than I care to look at, or have time to look at. Looks like song lyrics, among other things. I just copy/pasted the whole line from here to google. A lot about riddles comes up, but no sourse that I have time to research. HTH a little.
    Anonymous

• no idea sorry
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• hmmm googled it and only found one site with it-besides this one- and that didn't have any references.
    Perhaps I should be asking if this was in anyone's song list as a child?
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• LOL nope I can ask my mom who is 84 but she is sort of lost in space some times.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My mom said it is a riddle from her childhood in a riddle book.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:06 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• So just a generic riddle from the 1910-20s? Well its a start thank you. By any chance does she still have the book? I was beginning to wonder if she had just made them up...
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Nov. 29, 2010