Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about child support

when i was 16 my mom got 3 dna tests from my father(all positive) and he still denies it. he scared my mom into not pursuing child support. now that im an adult and need it can i still go for the child support??


Asked by lienna at 4:29 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 4 (28 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • Only your mother can do that. And they will pay it to HER not you. Sorry. My mother in laws husband (my husband's step dad) was getting garnished for back support for his adult child (she was married & had kids of her own) and it went to his Ex wife.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • I really don't think so. However, if your mother used any assistance over the years while raising you the state could go after him to repay that. At least that's what they did in my case.

    Answer by Jessica157 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • The child support he didn't pay your mom? no.

    Answer by ballewal at 4:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • no hes never paid a cent or wants anything to do w me

    Comment by lienna (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • nope she did it on her own, but my mom could go for it??

    Comment by lienna (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • No she would have to be the one to file for it.
    If his name is on the birthcertificate its a done deal, he is legally ur father.
    If he fights the court will order a paternity test and you will see the results legally.

    Talk to ur mom and ask her to file, ask that she share the money because you need it.
    It will not be in a lump sum though, most likely he will make payments once the court orders.

    Answer by sassy_brizzy at 4:53 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • I think your mom would have to file for it.

    Answer by JLS2388 at 5:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • Child support belongs to the child. I had a judge tell me I couldn't refuse child support for my son if his father wanted to pay it. don't know if you could get it after your grown up or not. His obligation lasts only until you're 18. That's a Question for an attorney if you're really serious.

    Answer by raynestar at 5:34 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • Child support is used by the parent to support the buy things the child needs to survive such as clothes, food, housing..things a child can not get on their own. And adult child is not entitled to child support BUT your mother is if she raised you all those years w/out your father's help. Its entirely up to a judge to decide the amount. And then good luck getting all that back support. Child support enforcement division in most states are so overwhelmed with cases that a case like this is very low on the totem pole. They are fighting to get support for children who need it NOW while they are still children.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • honestly i dont think you can recieve it. once you are 21 (i THINK- i may be wrong) it gets cut off but to be sure go to your local dfcs office. that is usually where they handle that kind of stuff. hope you get what you need

    Answer by tld1221 at 9:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

Next question in General Parenting
Santa Dillema

Next question overall (Health)
ugh frustrated