how would you all react

if your kids walk up to you and say mom/dad im gay/bi

i mean i walked up to my dad when i was 5, 5 years old, and said daddy i look at girls differently then everyone else does, wanna know what he said to me he said "dont tell anyone else in the family that then because ill get shit for it" then 10 years later at 15 i said dad i still look at girls the same way i did when i was little and he said the exact same thing to me as before "dont tell anyone else in the family that then because ill get shit for it"

when i have kids and they walk up to me, which i hope they will, and say mommy i think i like boys/girls, ill be there for them

an addition: i can honestly say i wouldnt want my kids to feel how i felt, still feel today, i was depressed after that happened and i would never want my kids to be so sad about something silly as saying "i like the same sex mom", i also still like girls iv dated one, i was in 6th grade, i dont feel as strongly about it as i used to, i like men a little bit more then girls now, but i still try to help out people who ask me about it

Lizzypuppylove

Asked by Lizzypuppylove at 4:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• They're still the child I birthed and raised no matter their sexual preference.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 4:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Same here. I'll be there for my kids if they tell me something like that.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It wouldn't bother me at all. I would say the same thing I would say to my kids regardless. Use condoms and don't settle.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I would love them regardless, they are my children and that will not change. Jesus did not judge people, why should I.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Doesn't matter to me one bit! if he is gay I get a great shopping partner and never have to worry about him knocking up some girl when he is young.. if he is straight then I get to have grandkids when he is ready.. both are win win!
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 4:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• The same way I would react if he walked up to me and told me his was straight. Meaning, no reaction really.

For me, being gay /bi is not any different than being straight, it just "is". A person is just who and what they are in that regards. One is no different than the other in my eyes.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• With religion out of it..I think you are so right. Who are we to judge what others (including our kids) think, feel or whatever? Sure we have dreams for them but guess what??? Those our "OUR" dreams not theirs. I say stand up and let them be an individual!
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 4:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• They are still my children. I will be there no matter what.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 4:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I'm sure I'd run the whole gamut of emotions. I can't lie & say I'd be jumping for joy...
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Good question, especially because there are more and more teens realizing and wanting to be in the open with their parents.

I would LOVE my child no matter what. And I would have to deal with my own feelings privately. I would ready myself to learn a lot.

What your dad said, was pretty normal. He was not judging you and did not have a clue how to advise other than trying to keep you from getting hurt by other family members. I am just glad you went to him about it. So many girls would never talk to dad like that. Good for you and I do hope you have found YOUR way in regards to your sexuality.

Above all God bless you!
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 4:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2010