Why do kids seem to be growing up so fast nowadays?

I remember being 8 and climbing trees and riding bikes. Why cant kids just be kids and enjoy it while you can?

iluvmykidsxoxo

Asked by iluvmykidsxoxo at 4:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Def parents and peer pressure, There are so many new technologies that consume kids these days. Its up to the parents to make the decision to buy it but many of us want our kids to be happy. I too agree that its redic. When i was a kid my punishment was to stay inside! No kids dont leave the couch in fear of missing a show or not beating a level in a game. Its up to us to make our children stay children as long was we can. Working or not its no excuse. Both my parents worked and we had very active childhoods. Sadly this bs is becoming more of a babysitter to our kids than it is fun and I know these leap frog and vtech games are educational but its seems like they are getting our kids prepared for other video games and how they work. I could go on forever LOL hope things change,,,its up to us!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:09 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Because parents not only allow it but encourage it. They give their children too much, too early. They don't reserve certain privileges or activities for a certain age, they simply indulge now - often because it's just easier or because they think it's cute, regardless of if it's in the best interest of the child or if the child is developmentally read for it.  They make many choices that lead to the early "growing up" that we see so much of today.

aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Because of the choices of the parents. Parents choose to let children dress older than they are, do activities that are for older children, do things that are appropriate for older children. They allow their children to dress like adults, go to adult places and have adult priviliges, watch adult programming, see things and do things that adults do. We buy them adult gadgets and sometimes even allow them to have an adult role in the decision making. We steal their childhood away from them in the name of "well, he wanted it". Childrenn shouldn't get everything they want. It's that simple.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 5:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Because it is the parents lack of time in their lives and they are allowed to watch older shows, wear what they want because it is "hip" my kids know better
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• There is so much more to do these days than the bike and the tree, technology and exposure is an influence here.....

Answer by older at 5:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Isnt it sad tho... my 6 yr old isnt a baby anymore.. but I do limit the tv and video games as much as possible.. its more play outside, hang out with mommy, and anything that has to do with technology is education related
    mommyoftristan

Answer by mommyoftristan at 5:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Kids nowadays doesn't have a sense of imagination
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• because we all want what we cant have. when we're young we want to be older and when we grow up we want our youth back!!!
    tld1221

Answer by tld1221 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2010