when you're dining at a restaurant, do you clean up after your kids or expect the server to do it?

back before i had children i worked at a few restaurants here & there. one of my biggest peeves was people who allow their kids to throw food all over the floor, table, highchairs, whatever. and in one of the restaurants there was a game room, the parents would sit at the table for hours and drink and let the kids play games, but the kids left half-eaten pizza crusts, cups, gum, all kinds of shit all over the game room.

now having kids of my own, i try my best to clean up their messes. it's not like im going to ask for a rag and broom and do it all myself but for instance if the baby was playing with a spoon and threw it on the floor im not going to leave it there for someone else to clean up. my kids aren't generally messy anyway, if i went to my old restaurant now i definitely would not allow them to leave their half eaten food and drinks in the game room. there's dozens of trash cans around for a reason!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:09 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I always pick up after them and dh always tells me to stop. In his opinion he is leaving a tip and that's part of their job. Unlike you and me, he has never held a job in any sort of customer service field. lol
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• i clean up after him and try to put everything in a pile... not sure why i do i just cant stand for it to be dirty or something
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 5:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• thankfully dd is a very clean eater so we dont have this problem, but yes we always clean up our messes how ever we can. and food doesnt leave the table. so no messes are made in any gameroom that is available.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:11 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I have actually asked for a dust pan and brush to clean up when my kids get stuff on the floor. They don't THROW it there, but sometimes it does happen.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Im a waitress so im def anal about that. But even if I werent I would def clean up after my dd. Its disrespectful to expect someone else to do it JMO
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I clean up everything not that we are messy by any means I also do the same in the hotels I put everything together and all trash in the trash cans. They don't get enough money either place to put up with crap from people
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I always clean up, I'd be embarrassed to leave a mess behind, now my kids are grown, but I always try to leave our area as clean as possible.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• We tidy up. I'm not going to give the table a good scrubdown (I don't have a wet rag after all, LOL), but we try to clean up our mess as much as we can. DH used to be a waiter and he always stacks the dishes and puts the napkins and silverware on top.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• We clean up and stack all dishes.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I clean up after them, it's only fair. And if you expect the server to clean up after your child you'd better tip them WELL! Been on both sides of this coin.
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 5:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2010