Food allergies and restaurants (kind of a spinoff from someone elses question :) )

I understand that children with allergies should be able to dine out like the rest of us. However, as a waitress and a mom I find it hard to beleive that parents will ask for special treatment for their child with allergies. And Im talking fatal allergies. I personally dont understand why someone would put their child in danger to eat out. Im not bashing just curious as to why some parents do so. Especially if youre not %100 sure that they are actually doing what you ask. As a waitress I always take precautions for kids with allergies but how do you really know that other places are? Id be too afraid to risk it. JMO
PS...and as I said Im talking about fatal allergies (and yes I come across it a lot)

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Hmmm... I don't think I would. I can't tell you how many times my husband has said "No tomatoes" and he gets tomatoes on something. I tell him to quit whining and pick them out, but if it was for a child that may go in to anaphylactic shock and die, it'd be very different. Would you trust a 19 year old server or line cook (not bashing, worked in restaurants for years) with your child's life? No way. A busy night could lead to an innocent mistake and your kid could end up dead...

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:06 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I have a cousin who has peanut allergy herself, and each one of her kids have a different allergy, but I think mom is the only one with an epipen. They NEVER go out to eat, she is too nervous. As a result, they are missing out on the experience. They are not allowed to eat at anyone else's home, or at any restaurant, outing/ baseball game/ etc....and they are all nervous wrecks, raging in age from 8 to 14. Serioulsy, what is going to happen to these kids and their social life?
    I have another cousin on the same side of the family with multiple food allergies and she explains to the waiter what her allergies are. She carries Benadryl/ Epipen and is not afraid to use them. She has been to every family wedding/ shower/ event and I have never seen her have an attack.

I think for each individual mom with a food allergic child, it just depends.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• There are several restaurants around here that claim to be peanut free. (which is the only allergy I know about) She calls ahead to ask about peanut use. If they say they do use peanut products she ask if there are any 'safe' menu options. Once they eat there they tell the server about hte allergy and oder for there child with the request that the chef know about the allergy so he can be careful to not cross contaminate. She then judges the server response to see if she feels it is safe to trust the server to this. She looks for things like whether or not she seemed to understand and whether or not see seemed concerned sometimes she ask for the manager. They are also always prepared but honestly is the restaurant says it is safe and the server is notified and the chef actually gets the message then they will not be willing to risk reputation and will follow through to the best of their capability.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• wow left out that I am talking about my Best friend and her son who is allergic!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Well... at what point do you stop your life? What point do you put your kid in a bubble and call it a day? What's the difference between eating out and eating at a 'friends'? Can you ever REALLY be sure that you wont 'accidentally' encounter an allergic reaction? No, you can't. I'm guessing that those families who deal with (possibly) fatal allergies take some precautions. The alert the wait staff that it can be FATAL, I am sure they bring something like an epi pen with them. And then, they simply live life.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I would be way too nervous to put my child's life in the hands of a stranger that could just be a tired student working his way through college.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:31 AM on Nov. 30, 2010