S/O of the discrimination questions in both sections

Office lunch room - nobody in the room is on the clock. One table is discussing their weekend, another table is discussing work. The table discussing their weekend is mentioning things like drinking, and the obnoxious behavior of someone who drank too much. The table discussing work is one person telling the others about the horrible phone call she took where she was cussed out by a customer.

Another co-worker comes in carrying a bible. Nobody else in the room notices and continues their conversations. She goes to management and complains that these conversations should have stopped as soon as they saw her bible because the subject matter was offensive to her (there wasn't actual profanity or sex being discussed, aside from the direct quotes of the work-related phone call).

Was the bible wielding co-worker crossing the line?

(yes, this happened at my old job, and I know what the outcome was - curious how others would view it)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think she crossed the line, others conversations should be censored, if she didn't want to par take, all she had to do was walk the opposite direction, not try to end it altogether. She made it sound like the Bible was some sort of weapon that can actually make people do things differently, it might be so for those who believe but not for all.....

Answer by older at 5:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes, she was. If it was in the break room ON break, she was crossing the line. Others shouldn't have to scope out a room for someone carrying a bible and then stop their conversation.
    People are WAY too sensitive these days and expect people to know what their beliefs (whatever they may be) are and for people to not offend them. It's ridiculous! And yes, I am a Christian. I don't think people shouldn't be able to discuss things around me because of that.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• *I meant to say should not be censored*

Answer by older at 5:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Was the bible wielding co-worker crossing the line?

Yes.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 5:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes she crossed the line

It would have stopped if the light of Jesus the Love of Jesus and His amazing grace was flowing out of her... instead... and hate to say this but judgment and offense spilled out instead.

In the bible people like Paul walked in such a power of the Lord that people did stop.... Jesus is a fine example of this.. people could not help but want to be set free and cried out to Him. When we are Overfilled with the Light of Jesus and His love then things change... we would not have to say a word... the love of Christ will convict on its own. Meanwhile we just keep moving on in Him.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Arrrrgh I could never work for HR!

Of course she was crossing the line. If she had spoken directly to her coworkers that their conversations made her uncomfortable and they ignored or ridiculed her, then yes, it could be an issue. Carrying a bible around does not immediately scream out to the general public she's going to be offended by talk of drinking and profanity. Plenty of religious people curse and drink, and there's the tricky matter of free speech.

She sounds overly sensitive to a world who is not held to the same standards she holds.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Because the Bible is void of drunken obnoxious behavior, sex, profanity, and people cursing at each other??!!
    I think the wielder needs to open that book and take a read every now and then.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 5:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• sidesplittinglaughter I would have told her to get over herself, lol! What is the rest of the world supposed to bow down, and mind their ways in the presence of a bible? If that's the case then lets all respect each others faith in that same manner. I'd like to demand the same reaction she was hoping for when I walk in the room full of herbs, oils, and Crystals!

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 6:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes, she crossed the line. She was being completley unreasonable.
    NYMOM12

Answer by NYMOM12 at 6:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• *completely
    NYMOM12

Answer by NYMOM12 at 6:06 PM on Nov. 29, 2010