How is it even possible that I'm losing weight while pregnant?

I know I've been dealing with morning sickness for longer than what's normal and can't really eat too much, but shouldn't my body have gone into starvation mode or something so that it's easier to gain weight when I can eat? I'm hoping to be able to eat more soon. It feels like I'm finally able to eat larger amounts and things to upset my stomach as much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I lost weight during the early phases of my pregnancies due to being too sick to eat. Not to worry, you will gain it back soon enough!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I lost tons of weight the first 5 months. Now at 7 months I've finally gained a lil bit (10 lbs). Doc says no worries just one of the rare freaks lol. As long as baby is growing properly he says nothing to worry about.
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 5:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• that is hyperemesis darlin' ..... you sound like you need meds for the nausea. Badly. A new ob/gyn too perhaps.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I was about 9 pounds less than my pre pregnancy weight at 9 months pregnant. As long as the baby is growing, it's ok. I know have a very bright, healthy 18 month old boy.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:52 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My cousin lost weight in the first half or so of her pregnancy but then was able to eat and gained some weight. She had a very healthy, active baby boy that grew and gained weight a bit ahead of the curve. My son's birth mother also lost weight in the first trimester and then again in the third trimester, but he was born at a normal weight and is healthy. As others say, as long as baby is growning like it should, I wouldn't worry.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 5:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I lost 15 pounds when I had my twins. They were/are fine.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 5:58 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• If you're already overweight, it's not uncommon for overweight women to lose lbs when pregnant.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Even if you're not overweight it's not uncommon to lose weight as long as you have morning sickness. I wasn't overweight before my first pregnancy, and I lost over 20 pounds before I started gaining it back. I was a little overweight when I got pregnant with my twins and I lost around 20 pounds with them too before I started gaining any weight. I had morning sickness well into the second trimester with both pregnancies. My babies were all small, but very healthy.  If you aren't taking meds for your morning sickness you should talk to your doctor about it, but don't expect it to be a complete cure.  I took 3 different meds for morning sickness in my twin pregnancy, and that meant I got to throw up less than 10 times a day instead of more than 10 times a day.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I was told that I needed to consume more calories to have a healthy weight for the baby's sake since I was not gaining enough in the beginning when I had my first child.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I lost a bit of weight with my DD. My morning sickness wasnt bad at all. All in all I lost a total of 35 lbs, and gained 7 lbs back by her birth. My Dr was never too concerned, as she was growing well, and healthy.
    monkiesbugs

Answer by monkiesbugs at 6:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2010