My doctor did not provide me with the best care is there something I can do?

I went to the doctor a week ago I hesistated going because my insurance havent kicked in yet but I went and decided I'll just use my medicaid card which only covers pap and birth control. Any whoo I received a pap they also took sample of my urine. I told my doctor I havent had a peroid in almost 3 mths and I have been having pains. and I think I may have pcos. She told me Medicaid does not cover anything else besides pap smear, and birth control and asked did I want them. Long story short I end up going to the emergency room only to find out I had a bladder infection. I called today and told them that I had this and I wasnt told I had anything when they took the urinalysis. She said they didnt send the urine off. WHAT? Is there something I can do? Someone to call?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• so did you tell your doctor you wanted them done??

oorrrr nO???
    Anonymous

• If you told your doctor you wanted them done at your own cost then the DR should have sent them off to be tested. However if you stated that you didn't then the DR was not in the wrong. Legally they can only perform the duties that they are paid to do or approved to do by the patient and at the patients cost.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 4:02 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• did you offer to pay up front for any testings not covered by medicaid? I don't see anything wrong with the doctor not running any tests if you didn't say you would pay for them.
    Anonymous

• No the problem is that because you used your medicaid card they treat you lik you are less than. I have had this happen to me when I wa soriginally diagnosed wit an abnormal period and it was actually dysfuntional uterine bleeding which caused me to have 2 miscarriages.I dont know if there is anythin that you can do.
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 4:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• If your medicaid doesn't cover it then, they will not do it. Unless you pay up front. It is up to your insurance company on the care you get. It was simply a bladder infection you can take some antibiotics and it will be over with. There is really nothing you can do because they didn't test for a bladder infection.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I don't think it's because she used Medicaid that it was the issue. I think it's along the lines that her insurance didn't cover that nor did she ask to pay for it out of pocket. If she asked to pay for it then the DR should have done it. Not everyone looks at Medicaid as a horribe thing nor do they treat people badly because of it. Some people however feel that by being on Medicaid it entitles them to a "poor me, pity me" card.
    Anonymous