For (hard) polytheists

Do you believe that Yahweh is a real god too? Do you think maybe he is just jealous (as he says he is in the bible) and wants to convince the whole world that only he exists? Or maybe he only wanted his people (the Hebrews) to only worship him, not necessarily convince them or the whole world that only he exists? I just find it interesting to think about; did Yahweh want to be the only god people ever worshiped, or was it people who tried to convince the world that only he is the “True God” so they could control the masses? Hmm. Just interested in your thoughts…oh, but if you do not believe Yahweh is a real god too, why is it that you believe in all the pagan gods, but not this one?
Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Idk, I have never been able to feel his presence, even as a Christian, but that doesn't necessarily mean he does not exist, he just has never called to me. As for your other questions, imo it is probably most likely that it was humans who have tried to make Yahweh the only one true God as a way to control people.

Leanaidedanan

Answer by Leanaidedanan at 8:11 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I don't... while I have felt the presence of Thor, Athena, and Auset, I have never felt that one presence, never one inkling that that being was real. I practice Kemetic Orhodoxy, meaning I worship the gods of Egypt. I feel their presence more than any other, so I felt pulled ot them.
    But, even as a christian, I never felt anything, even when wanting to become a nun, I felt nothing...
    Studying "mythology" in school, I felt that pull
    Studying the religion of Kemet, the history of Kemet, I felt a larger pull.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 6:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I'm a hard polytheist and all the Gods exist as separate individuals. The Gods of Abraham do exist. It's not one God as many think but several. Yahweh exists as does El. The Gods of Abraham know full well that other Gods exist. They just did not want their people to forget them in favour of other "strange" Gods. The probation about having other Gods before me, has to do with status. El had top status as befits a creator God and Lord of the pantheon.Of course, no other Gods should come before him if you are a part of his people and worship him. Yahweh is just a tribal God. He belongs to His people, not the whole world. Yahweh supplanted El over time. They are not one in the same. Yahweh is a usurper as is the Christian Messiah. El is the original deity of Genesis and the original God and yet His greatest fears have come to past.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 7:46 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytheism

Hard Polytheists believe that gods are distinct, separate real divine beings not psychological archetypes or personifications of natural forces. Hard polytheists reject the idea that "all gods are one God"

This is contrasted with Soft Polytheism, which holds that Gods may be aspects of only one God, psychological archetypes or personifications of natural forces.

It is a misconception that Hard Polytheists consider the gods of all cultures as being equally real; that is a theological position more correctly called integrational polytheism or omnitheism.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 7:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes, I do believe he, like other Gods, does exist. My general belief is that he, and similar "almighty gods" purposefully lead their people's to believe they were the one and only out of some need to be "THE ONE." I see them as very flawed, controlling, arrogant and jealous Gods - Which is why I generally pay them no attention...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:56 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• What is a "hard" polytheist anyway? I believe that there are many different spiritual realms in the afterlife. On one particular real the Goddesses and Gods of the earths dwell. I believe that they all exist (even Yahweh) b/c of many things; faith, repetition of name, exalting/worship, prayer, offerings etc - those things keep deities alive and current. I dont believe that Yahweh is the God many portray him to be, nor do I believe he is ever to physically come to earth. Maybe the essence of his qualities will be upon some ppl but that's not the case for all. We all have different patrons and guides in this life. Yes I do believe that the controlling elitist created monotheistic religions to keep the masses controlled by fear of consequences of back sliding or Not being of a certain faith. However, if Yahweh works for you then I aint mad at ya.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 6:26 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• What is a "hard" polytheist anyway?

Normally it means a pantheist vs someone who is more universalist (one god and one goddess, all gods are one, etc). For one particular mom on here, it's her way of trying to re-write all the pagan religions on her terms so she can ask questions that have nothing to do with the actual religions in an attempt to disprove them.

And to answer the OP, yes, the Abrahamic god existed for the people in that region, but that doesn't mean his "world" would extend beyond the middle east, any more than Odin and Thor held court over South Africa or the gods of the Incas held sway over China.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I was told "hard" polytheism is where you believe the gods and goddesses all exist as separate beings, with their own personalities etc., as opposed to "soft" polytheism where one would invoke a certain god or goddess for their characteristics, but they believe they are all aspects of the same god/dess; maybe this was misinformation, idk

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Interesting Isabellalecour, thank you for sharing!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• ...Learned something new - guess I am what you would call a "hard" polytheist. (I hate titles)

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2010