How do you help your student learn for school?

justme581

Asked by justme581 at 6:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am always quizzing my daughter in the car how much is 1 plus one and how do you spell this and what not. We travels about 30 miles each day. Other then that I pick a time at home and just sit with her and quizz he then and make her read to me.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:06 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• The best way to help your child get the most out of going to school is to help them study in courses they are struggling in, and making sure they do the assigned homework they get every day.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Make sure you are reviewing their homework with them! It's the best way to see that they are on track and to pinpoint the things they are struggling with.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• We homeschool so I do it all - I check out and pick the different topics that make up our curriculum, do lesson planning (for three different levels), teach, grade, evaluate, reteach when necessary and encourage them to discover what they are passionate about learning about while enforcing the not-so-fun subjects (like math).  I spend time searching for resources to make learning more enjoyable and to stretch their horizons.  I have taught in both the public and private school setting and for me this is the most challenging  - and most rewarding - teaching I have ever done.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I sit and do homework with my kids and then I will ask questions of the things I remember from the lesson. My son always struggled in school and didn't like it so much, my daughter seems to be the opposite. She remembers everything it seems. She remembers more than I do.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 1:36 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Hi, I am an early reading expert. First of all, never use sight-words. NEVER. They cause normal children to read like dyslexics. Use phonics such as A Pretty Girl Was Alpha Bette (on Amazon.com). Just ten minutes a day with the right phonics will give your child the best foundation ever! Reading is the foundation of everything else, even math, science, arts, everything. Also, for our children to be ready for the technology workforce of the future, they need to have good reading skills. Check out my top ten reading myths on http://thegodfreymethod.com
    RocketMom14kids

Answer by RocketMom14kids at 11:28 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My child learns spelling words through repetitive writing, so I quiz her on them then any that she has misspelled I have her write them a few times.

Math, I usually let her use the counting grid they provided her with at school. I have also started to line up problems and show her how to do them.

You really have to see how your child learns in order to help them the proper way. It took awhile when we worked on the spelling but we finally found a way she could excel!
    JesF419

Answer by JesF419 at 2:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Rocket mom I absolutely disagree. There is a time and a place for BOTH and to say that ONLY THIS WAY will work ... already puts you in my book in the ineffective and lost section. My brother could absolutely NOT learn through phonetics, he didn't hear the diff. There are MANY MANY words that are NOT phonetic (irregular) but ARE important for our chidren to read from early on (Dolch/Fry list anyone). I am a VERY firm believer in 1. BALANCE and 2. let the CHILD lead the way. If they are not a phonetic person, they have diff. hearing the diff. then you use a different tactic. If you are a reading "expert" I would be afraid for you to have a child like my brother or others students with various learning issues that I have worked with.

MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2010