Have a question about babies and milk

My dd had a stomache bug with a fever lasting friday night through saturday night. She had one instance of diarrhea again today, should I stop giving her whole milk? She has been getting a couple ounces here and there to start the weaning process. It didn't seem to bother her before the fever, which was a little over a week after we started giving her milk. She's almost 11 months old.

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 6:11 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would cut back on milk if contines to still borther her. If so it might be she has not got rid of being sick yet. Or might be a sign of lactose intolance and try the latasose free kind. See if that helps.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 6:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I would still give my children a few ounces of whole milk after the fever broke. I wouldn't be concerned about the diarreha enless it continues then I would call the doctor.
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It sounds like her stomach still might be upset. It will not hurt if she is not drinking her milk. I would start again in a day or two. Just make sure she is drinking fluids. Hope she feels better soon!!
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• The milk isn't causing her to have the diarrhea if she has the stomach flu, unless she gets diarrheawhenever she drinks milk before the flu. If it isn't bothering her tummy then the milk is fine (if she isn't gassy or irritable) but if her tummy isn't taking to the milk switch to Lactose Milk it's just has good as regular milk but gental on the tummy.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 6:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Babies under 12 mo should get zero milk. Formula was invented because cow's milk kills babies or harms their digestive and other systems. The adverse health effects may be lifelong. That's why the APA and all other health organizations recommend giving no cow's milk to babies under 12 mo. No Lactose Milk (Lactaid?). I have had digestive problems my whole life because my mother gave me milk. I have been on medications and a special diet since the damage was discovered when I was a child.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:27 AM on Nov. 30, 2010