Why do people tell their

children that it's not right to lie yet they lie to them about Santa Clause and also look down on anyone that doesn't follow the farce?

Someone recently posted the question: Do you let Santa bring all the gifts or just one?

To which I answered: There is no such thing as Santa Clause so he can't bring anything.

And I got four vote downs so far. Frankly I think the vote downs are funny, what concerns me is the blatant lying to the kids. Why do people NOT see that as wrong?

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 6:18 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Okay, ready to be jumped - I lied to my kids. Some days more than others, but I lied. Right or wrong I just don't believe you can make it in polite society without lying....period. Bravo to those of you who would say to your best friend when asked, "yes, your butt is huge" - me notsomuch. I may not say "no, your butt is tiny", but I definitely would lie by omission. I lied to my kids about Santa, Easter Bunny, St. Nicholas, official Mommy Holiday, Daddy helping me fold laundry, the dogs are just getting to know each other when they hump like that, etc. etc. etc.

I did not lie about life changing/altering important (in my perception) issues. So far, they are 22 and 19 and we have a really close relationship, maybe further in life they will need a shrink from thinking there was a Santa, but for now, they are doing fabulous!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 8:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Neay I enjoy the magical aspect and we always had so much fun with it. My kids are adults and just like me, we are not damaged and do not hold any psychotic grudges are our parents! LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• We aren't telling our kids anything specific about Santa. Certainly not he slides down the chimney while ur asleep, etc.
    But they understand the magic, mystery, etc

Once you reach a certain age, life loses its spark. Monthly car payment, college, work, pay your taxes...... you get a small window of time when the world is a magical and enchanting place. Embrace it.....
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I do not see Santa as lying. Santa is a holiday tradition that was started by a real person, St. Nicholas. Santa is the "spirit" of the holiday, giving and caring for others. Everyone can think or celebrate as they please, but our family will ALWAYS include Santa in our holiday.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• We 'do Santa' for some families it is just a fun tradition. I completely understand that not all families have this same tradition and frankly don't care. Just don't ruin the fun for us is all I care about... We will explain the 'truth' when we are ready to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Ohhhhh jeez. Xmas is an originally pagan holiday, get your shit straight, "atheist". As for Santa, do what you do, have fun and get your nose out of OUR holiday fun.
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 6:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• We didn't do the Santa thing. The gifts were simply not labeled as from anyone. They heard about Santa from classmates and relatives, but we didn't talk about it, and when they asked, we explained in a caring way.

Answer by Bmat at 6:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I never met anyone who felt like they were "lied to" about Santa.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 7:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I understand your viewpoint on Santa Clause, I just happen to disagree. Of course we don't go to the mall to 'sit on SANTA'S lap' either. Ever heard of doing things by 'proxy'? That's how 'Santa' works in our house. He is no longer with us, he is actually dead. However we invite his spirit into our home by acting in his place.

I do not lie to my children. However I do encourage my children to use their imaginations. When my DS tells me about his imaginary friend sitting in that back seat, I certainly don't reprimand him for lying.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• have to agree with you M-avi
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2010