Classroom pet cumundrum...

My DS has severe allergies to animal dander. Not deadly or anything but he will stuff up instantly and sneeze around animals and if it is a lot of dander his eyes will water. Holding dogs or cats gives him a little rash. Nothing major. Well, there was a big announcement today that they would be getting a pair of rabbits for their 3r grade classroom. Everyone is excited including my son but I am worried. It is not a huge room and that is not one but two rabbits. I am worried he will stay sneezey and stuffed up and not be able to concentrate on his work. I don't want to be 'that parent' you know the one that ruins everything so I don't really want to fight them getting the rabbits...it also seems mean to b request teacher be changed when he likes her. I just don't know. I do know it will end up being an issue... He can't even pet a dog at the park and has to take bendryl to be at my mothers house and still gets stuffy and all she has is 1 cat.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It really is important that you bring this up to the teacher, really. Discuss your concerns over his health (and the possible allergy issues for the rest of the class, you may not be alone in this.) and say that you are really excited for them to get a class pet, but you want it to be one that EVERYONE can enjoy. Offer some suggestions. Iguana's or other lizards may fit your bill.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• This is a tough one. I'ld say tell the teacher to keep him away from them and to sit him as far away from them as possible but then he's going to be the odd kid out and if there were less time left in the school year, I'ld say if the allergies are horrible, he could bare it a while but there is still half a year left. I don't know what to tell you.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 6:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• You must say something to the teacher!! Your son shouldn't suffer because you feet bad for the other kids.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 6:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think that's odd. Why not frogs or something? I'd tell the teacher your concern about the allergies and wait and see what happens, if anything, to your child. If he is reactive, move him. If they don't skip the rabbit idea, that's too bad. I've never heard of such a thing.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I agree with kbakeman...talk to the teacher and forget about the other kids. Its about your son, not them. Allergies can often turn into something worse if overexposed and not treated. Maybe you can suggest to the teacher that they get something less fluffy like frogs or a bird or something?
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 6:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I agree with ethans momma06 - very good advice!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 8:16 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I would talk to the teacher for sure. He should not suffer and if the teacher DOES decide to get a rabbit any way, she will at least know the situation and not let him hold the rabbit.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 1:29 AM on Nov. 30, 2010