Would you move for a better school system?

Our local county public school system is really a joke. They have been surrounded by controversy since 2007 and a us supreme court ruling regarding our student assignment plan, and the one in place since then is even worse. Out of the 10 worst performing HS in the whole state, 6 came from my district. The first day of school they lost over 100 kindergardeners due to the new assignment plan, some not returning home till after 9 pm. (busing) I was sent a letter from the district that my sons school is a Title I school and they by NCLB law have to offer him a transfer if we wish. All the transfer choices were lower performing schools than his. All of the schools perform below the state average with the exception of our traditional schools (which are hard to get into as you can imagine). He is a very smart kid. I have one option aside from traditional. We have 1 public school that operates as a private school almost. It takes K-12 and has the highest grades in the city, one of the highest in the state. They don't offer transportation but i don't care. I am applying both my boys there, one will be entering kindergarden, the other 5th. If they don't get in, i'm seriously considering moving the next county over which has the best school system in the state. Would you ever consider moving for a better education?

MissAlisabeth

Asked by MissAlisabeth at 6:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This is not good. Yes, it IS worth moving. You can be a 4.0 student in a crappy district but fail in college because you weren't properly educated. And yes, you can get in to college and then fail out due to this. MOVE.
    Anonymous

• I was born and raised in Kentucky and I love it here...that aside, I am moving away from here as soon as possible so that my children will have a better education!
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 6:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• lol Apple then you know EXACTLY what i'm talking about!! I'm wanting to move to Oldham Co. I have family there and they have great schools.
    MissAlisabeth

Comment by MissAlisabeth (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• We are considering moving right now, because we pay alot to send our DS#1, 11, to Catholic school outside of New Orleans. DS#2 will start pre-K in 2 yrs and we don't know how we will fit this in our budget. Public schools here are awful, but across Lake Ponchatrain, about an hour from here the schools are wonderful, so we are looking into moving in the next year.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 6:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Absolutely. That is the main factor of why I would move.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I also want to be a teacher someday and the school system here sucks for teachers as well! lol So I've got extra initiative to move :P
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 6:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes. That is a large part of why we have our house for sale right now.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes. It's important to me that my children get a quality education.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I am a firm believer that education is freedom and obtaining the best education for your child is a gift. If you can afford to move to a better location or private school or pay transfer fees to a different district, I wouldn't hesitate.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 8:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes, I would. Our school system is terrible - so we chose to homeschool instead of move. But in any case I would not leave your kids there.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:46 PM on Nov. 29, 2010