9 y/o boy...seriously? This stuff already?

So I go to pull up something on youtube the other day and in the box where you type the web address of course it automatically pops up history of what has been searched for in youtube. My son gets on there quite a bit and looks at video game videos and cheat stuff, no biggie. Well this time there were searches for "lesbians" "lesbian sex" and "lesbian kiss". There was also a web address for a porn site!! This would be an address that he would have actually had to type in and go to. I did have major parental controls on his name on the computer but lately had been letting him under mine because his was acting up and I just hadn't went in to mess with it yet. Plus I thought I had a couple years before I had to worry about this stuff! Me and his dad talked to him, said it's normal to be curious, he wasn't in trouble but not to look at it again. It's not appropriate and what you see online isn't what you get in reality. If he has questions to talk to us, that we want to be open about things. I asked him if he got the website from talking to boys at school and he said no. I don't know if i believe it but i didn't push it. I really can't remember when me and my friends started talking about sex, also i'm a girl so it may be different. I do remember having showtime as a kid and catching a few night flicks lol but i can't remember my age. Anyone else already crossed that line from innocent child to curious tween?? Now what? Is there something else I should have done or do? Besides reinstall the parental controls lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• well he is a young boy, and there was a study that a good number of child who are 8 years old had already preformed or recieved oral sex. I would just sit down and talk to him. Tell him that you may come across some sexual things on the internet and that some of those things are not the way men and women make love. They are just things for entertainment, and when he gets older that that isn't the way to treat a women and stuff like that. That the women in the videos just do that stuff for money, etc. You get my idea. Just educate him because he is going to start touching himself soon, if not already :( sorry for TMI
    TawnyMarlow

Answer by TawnyMarlow at 7:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Have his dad talk about what is an is not okay to look up and offer to answer his questions, you already said you reinstalled the parental controls the only other thing I can say is that I personally will not allow my children on the computer without me in the room until they are closer to 15.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• So it couldn't be your DH/SO doing it? It has to be your son? Unless you do not have a DH/SO?

Answer by louise2 at 7:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think that you handled the situation just right, if DH hasn't already it is time for the sex talk-I know that 9 seems really young but now days you have to get a jump on things!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 7:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I asked my dh before we talked to my son. I know my dh looks online sometimes, and I don't mind that. But my dh has his own screen name on the computer that is password protected so my son can't accidently stumble upon any web history that my dh has been to. My dh wouldn't lie and then confront his 9 year old son and embaress him to cover his tracks on something that I don't care about. Plus my son admitted it when asked about it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I just found some awesome PC software from onlinefamily.Norton. and its FREE! It's much better than what I had, it even filters YouTube results. I tested it by searching for what he was searching for and got zero results. It also filters Google, yahoo and other search engines. Just an FYI if anyone needs some good parental controls.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think you have done it. You talked to him and installed the parental controls. Keep an eye on your child.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2010