Anyone's Doctor advise them to take baby aspirin during pregnancy? If so, when did you start taking it, how much, and what was the reason? Also, how did you do?

Low dose aspirin during pregnancy is often prescribed for women who have risk factors to develop a pregnancy associated disease that is called preeclampsia and that causes the blood pressure to rise to unsafe levels and also damages the kidney. This condition can advance to a potentially fatal disease for both mother and child that is called eclampsia. Risk factors for developing preeclampsia during pregnancy are having had preeclampsia in a prior pregnancy, diabetes, kidney disease, and chronic high blood pressure. Although studies have shown that some women at risk for preeclampsia can benefit from taking low dose aspirin during pregnancy, there is controversy about which women are the best candidates for this therapy, when it should start, and how long and how much aspirin should be taken.

PartyInMyTummy

Asked by PartyInMyTummy at 7:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I didn't think you were supose to take asprin while pregnant because I thins the blood
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:26 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I was told it wasn't safe to take asprin. Only acetaminophen.

Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Mommy 5409, no, not regular adult strength aspirin (unless you have a condition and your doctor still advises it). Doctor's are prescribing BABY aspirin (low dose aspirin) to women in high risk pregnancies BECAUSE it thins the blood. Studies have shown it can help women with clotting issues, high blood pressure, women at high risk for developing growth problems with their baby, or even preeclampsia.
    PartyInMyTummy

Comment by PartyInMyTummy (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Okay, so why are you asking us? Asprin is still asprin wether it's adult or baby.I had high bp and wasn't told that so idk...
    Anonymous

• Anonymous, I'm asking because I'm trying to find other women who may have a similar situation as mine, and I'd like to know if they took the aspirin or not, how they did, etc. I've been advised by my OB to take baby aspirin, however I'm not the type to take anything, so I'm worried about it, and trying to reach a decision. Baby aspirin is being advised in certain situations to high risk pregnancies, and mine happens to be one. Just looking for someone to relate to this, and so far having no such luck : (
    PartyInMyTummy

Comment by PartyInMyTummy (original poster) at 7:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I was advised by my OB, not high risk OB, to take 81mg baby asprin due to 2 previous MI's ( take it without being pregnant) BUT my high risk OB felt the risks outweighed the benefits as did my cardiologist. Instead I am on a beta blocker 100mg, calcium, blocker150mg, and now a low dose digoxin 4 mcg (baby has fetal SVT). First 2 meds cause low birth weight and slow growth 3rd causes prematurity. This is my #3 kiddeo the first I was on more meds and he was 7lbs 3oz lots of complications at birth. My 2nd was on the same meds minus the digoxin and was 6lbs 6oz no side affects/complications. This one I have monthly appts, monthly u/s (keep an eye on baby's heart), monthly cardio appts, I wore an event monitor, heart monitor, the 1st trimester (and will the 3rd trimester). I've seen more pre-e previous mother's on diuretics, antihypertensive meds, or beta blockers rather then asprin (I work in the L&D field). Talk with your dr more
    babyblue21

Answer by babyblue21 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2010