Meeting the Neighbors

We just moved into our new house last weekend, and my question is. Do we go to our neighbors and meet them or wait for them to come to us? If you think we should go to them, do you think we should bring something over to "wow" them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I would wait to see if someone welcomes you, if not then go introduce yourself.

Answer by older at 7:34 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I said hello to our neighbors on each side of us when we moved here. If I had waited for them I still wouldn't know them!! Do what you are comfortable with but I don't think you need to bring anything over unless that is your "thing". Good luck in the new house!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• We went and introduced ourselves to the lady across the street and the folks on either side of us. We've chatted up other neighbors walking by. People don't really come by with a basket of muffins anymore, so it might be nice to stop and introduce yourself if you feel okay about it. When we buy, we likely will.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• give them couple days to settle in then u could go over
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 6:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• In my experience I have moved 3 times in 3 years and not one single neighbor has come to meet me. I am moving again in a week and a half, and I already know one neighbor cuz she's my friend and babysitter, the old man across the street because he's a nosy bossy old man, and the neighbors on one side cuz she has said hi a couple times from out on her porch. I am not a really friendly person but my husband meets neighbors just in passing. But it seems these days no one comes to introduce themselves to the new neighbors anymore. You could go introduce yourself and that would be cool. I am going to if I ever see someone new moving into the neighborhood (if I ever could live somewhere for more than 6 months lol)
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:10 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I don't think many people greet their new neighbors these days, sad but true. I wish that tradition was still around, if you wait, you may be waiting forever, best just go over and introduce yourselves.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• i agree with older
    san78

Answer by san78 at 3:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• When I was growing up, it was the neighborhood that would come to the new neighbors.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2010