Why are people offended on here by the 'R' word....

but not Crazy, Nuts or Insane. Are those not also derogatory terms towards a group of people with a medical condition? I really want to know not trying to prove anything or anything.

And has anyone noticed a increase (not on here in general) of the use of the word Autistic as interchangeable with the 'R' word? I heard it in a store and the on THE RADIO the other morning on a talk show. He said to the co-host. 'What are you Autistic or something?' Do other people find that offensive? I would...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• When I was a child I was called the R word by kids because of my hearing impairment... it was like they thought because I couldnt hear I was dumb.. they did not know I scored borderline genius on the non verbal portion of the IQ test!
    So I find that word rather offensive regardless of how it is used!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Any word used in a derogatory way is hurtful. If you are seriously describing someone as retarded, that's fine. But if you call someone who did something dumb a Re---d, that is not. Of course calling someone autistic that way is very offensive.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I hate derogatory lables. Other, more politically correct terms, if you will, are Developmentally disabled, or special needs. That is why there is a "Special Olympics" and why the MRDD is now just DD. Anyone who has a loved one with a disability would not likely use the offensive R word. As for anyone who has a mental disorder such as bipolar, calling them crazy is just as offensive. While we may never reach everyone, I would hope in this day and age, people would be much more sensitive.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I HATE that word. I have been working with children and adults with developmental disabilities and other exceptionalities for 13 years and that word is nothing more than a slur. I know it is an actual medical term, but NOBODY uses it anymore, not even doctors, because of the negativity associated with it. Check out this website. www.r-word.org
    I haven't heard anyone use Autistic that way yet, horrible.
    I work for an organization called The Advocacy Alliance, www.theadvocacyalliance.org, and we don't use crazy, nuts, or insane either.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 7:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My kids started getting that from school and saying that. I don't think they actually knew what it meant. I wasted no time to set them staight. They are just words, but even words can hurt.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 7:58 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I notice use of bipolar quite frequently to describe someone who is acting like a complete idiot. That seems to be the catch all for acting like an ass these days. Even my family does it. I'm bipolar, i'm not amused. They don't seem to notice who they are comparing me to. But what can ya do.
    Anonymous

• IDK..but many times its the same idiots that pretend to be anti pc...

Your own little brand of irony there, huh sweet!

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Why are people offended on here by the 'R' word....

but not Crazy, Nuts or Insane.

Most people are intelligent enough to not use words like crazy, nuts or insane in front of their employer, clergy, child's teacher, etc, but they're still too stupid to figure out that using "retard" in that manner isn't somehow ok. What I'd like to know is why people are so dedicated to defending the use of a word that makes them sound like a complete f'n moron, causes people to immediately question their ability to parent, and generally gives them the same stigma as someone who throws around "gay" as an insult or thinks it's ok to use the n word at will. Why is it so important to you to use that word, of all the words out there?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:15 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:47 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I sometimes like to revisit some of the questions I have previously answered- this time I'm sorry I did. Even tho I know ignorance still exists, it's hard to read it in black and white! Some of the disgraceful attitudes shared here remind me of why I want to take any steps necessary to protect my son from the ugliness of this world. Some of you should be ashamed! My son may be a little slow, but he has more character in is little finger than some of you have in your entire ignorant bodies! I can only pray that someday you will realize the error of your ways and have a change of heart. If not, that your loss, because there are some fantastic people out there that you will never have the pleasure of knowing.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:04 PM on Nov. 29, 2010