if you are a SAHM.....

do you use the money your husband makes to buy his x-mas and birthday gifts? and if so how the heck can you hide a debit card purchase that was made online? i dont want him to know what i get him before he gets it but they are items that have to be purchased online. i know its "our" money but i feel weird using money he works for to buy him a gift. help me out here please!

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 7:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Holidays

• I have no issues with using his money to buy him gifts and neither does my husband. We made the choice together for me to stay at home and he knew that would mean not bringing any money in on my end, we consider what he makes ours. Also he has no idea what he makes and does not deal with the money at all that is how I get away with buying him things. He never looks at our bank account just trusts me to take care of everything.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Not a SAHM but I wanted to mention this: Would he every buy it for himself? If not then you are justified to buy if for him with his money. He deserves to use his money for him as well. :0) Tell him you will be doing some Christmas shopping and you need some cash. If you need to make an online order buy a pre-paid Visa with the cash and use that.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I have my own accounts that I use for shopping.. And I also handle all the finances so my husband very rarely ( I could count the times on my fingers..been married 25 years.. lol) ever looks at receipts or bank statements.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I know how you feel! I work from home so I now have money coming in on my own but I get where you are coming from. My husband and I have an emergency credit card and that's usually what I put his presents on. I just tell him that I bought something on there so don't look. I trust him to do that!!! LOL I don't know if this helps but maybe if yall have that kind of relationship, just tell him to not look. (That's if you take care of the account!).

~Alyssa
    www.sandamaliska.blogspot.com
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 7:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I have my own credit card that I use to buy his gifts, so he doesn't know where I bought his gifts. This year, I got a part-time job, so I can pay for the gifts myself. I know how you feel though! One time, I did withdraw money to buy the gift, so he wouldn't see... it's a tough position!!
    abbysmommy429

Answer by abbysmommy429 at 7:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I have the same issue with hiding it.....I don't feel badly about using money he's worked for to purchase though, but it's frustrating because he has to give me a budget to spend on him or when I know something specific, I ask for that amount and he sometimes guesses what I want to get him. What I'm thinking of doing this year is using our credit card and making a payment to that instead. That way he wont know what or where I've purchased from until after he actually gets his gift.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 7:46 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Mine never looks at things like statements. LOL
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I deal with this every holiday and his birthday. Not because he could see the charge (he doesn't want anything to do with the bank account) but because I feel a little odd buying him a gift with money he earned but there isn't an alternative right now. I could only suggest keeping some cash out of the bank or something like that so that your husband doesn't see the activity on the card.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I am a sahm but I take care of all the bills and the bank accounts. I do spend his money on things I buy for him since I don't make my own money. But usually for Christmas, if we buy each other gifts, we pick out together.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 10:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It is ya'll's money not just his. Think about how much it would cost if he hired someone to come cook, clean and take care of the kids.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2010