my baby hates being on her tummy

My daughter is almost 3 1/2 months old. My doctor and pretty much everyone else tells me i need to put her on her belly for a little bit when shes awake. she hates it, she grunts really loud and then burries her face in her play mat. Is there a way i can make tummy play better for her??/

leksismommy

Asked by leksismommy at 4:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son hated to be on his tummy when he was younger. I was stressing about it because everyone was telling me to give him enough tummy time. Then when he learned to turn over on his own he started loving it. Just keep encouraging her a little at a time - one minute by one minute. Hopefully it will come. Good luck.
    Jesenka

Answer by Jesenka at 10:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My daughter is 6 months old now and loves being on her tummy....however when she was your baby's age she hated it as well. I wouldnt push it if I were you, because I didnt and she will warm up to the idea on her own :) Hope this helps.
    Tatumsmommy0123

Answer by Tatumsmommy0123 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• my son is still 6 months old and he hates it, i put him on his tummy then he cries so i put him on his belly. they will get there eventually
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• try holder her up a little... with your hand under her tummy.... she just doesn't have the strength to hold her head and body up. my girl is 5 months and loves tummy time
    MidniteMochaMom

Answer by MidniteMochaMom at 5:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I don't know of any baby that enjoys it, at least not in the beginning. The ways my little guy gets tummy time: laying on Mommy and Daddy's tummy, with his upper body propped up on the Boppy, and a few minutes flat on the floor. He gets cranky with this within a few minutes, but we're slowly building up a tolerance. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I wouldn't push it...my baby was the same way, now she's almost 8 months and she loves it....
    I used to lay down with her and play...she would like that for a little while then when she got tired of it I'd turn her over...

good luck :)
    Allikats-momma

Answer by Allikats-momma at 7:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• everyone told me to put my DD on her tummy too. but she hated it so i didn't. after she became 6 months i'd put her on her tummy but only on the bed or a soft surface. the floor just hurt her little tummy, the only bad thing is that she's 10 months and she still doesn't crawl, she scoots everywhere...
    MAyers

Answer by MAyers at 7:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My daughter is 4.5 months and she HATED it when I first starting putting her on her tummy, but it really is something they just have to get used to. I didn't leave her on the floor too long, just five minutes every day and slowly she has gotten used to it, but she too would just bury her face in the mat and cry at first. I think that sometimes the floor may be too hard, so I have her on a really soft blanket, and in the very beginning I started her on the boppy on the floor (like in an airplane position) for a few days and that helped ease into being on the floor. Just give him/her time.
    rabbate

Answer by rabbate at 8:41 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• My daughter went through the same thing at that age. Its just frustration. Try a few minutes at a time. Once she is comfortable with rolling over (both ways) she'll accept tummy time. :)
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 12:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2008