Dog pooping on deck

I got a new puppy for my son, and we are keeping it on the back deck. We have tried everything to teach him how to use the bathroom in the yard, but he refuses. He keeps pooping on the deck. How do we train him to go in the yard?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Pets

• this may sound odd but what are the steps like leading down to the yard? animals gererally do not like to use stairs that have the open back that you can see through. Their eye sight/depth perception is different and it scares them, they kind of think they are not actually going up.
    Anonymous

• Try taking his poop and place it in a place that he will be able to get to. Take him off the deck to the poop and tell him that thats where he should go. After eating take him there. Watch him to see when he wants to poop and say potty and take him to the area for pooping. You have to teach him cause he does not know to go there. Make sure you praise him and if he poops in the poop place..lol give him a treat! Pups have to be taught everything you expect them to do. Use OUT spray to clean deck off of all smell of poop. Remove the oder so he won't be attracted to poop on deck. Good luck..
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 7:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My dog stays inside so it was a little different situation, but we just made sure to take her "potty" all the time. when I would stand outside with her waiting for her to go, I would tell her "go potty" and praise her when she did. Eventually it stuck because now I just tell her to go potty and she runs to the door to be let out , does her thing, and comes back in.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• grabbing his poo. and putting it in the corner of the backyard will help. ..also....spraying with soap and water on the deck getting his scent off, will help...making sure he is on a leash when u first take him outside ...detouring him from the deck. and letting him go on the leash for a lil bit until he gets used to this , and he will eventually go alone,
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 9:40 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• When we got our puppy, he liked to poop on the patio. I had to go out in the yard and stand while he ran around and found a good spot in the grass and then I'd give him a treat. It took a couple of days before I didn't have to go in the yard anymore.
    mwebb

Answer by mwebb at 8:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2008