Building your own house

what were the pros an cons if you built your own rather than buying from a builder?

Queenofscrap

Asked by Queenofscrap at 8:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We bought a piece of land and hired a builder to do the blue prints and build the house. Plan on spending more than originally planned for. For instance once they started digging for the foundation they hit ledge. Luckily there was very little so we avoided blasting but that would have been a big expense (might have actually ended the project). We lived nearby so we could be over there constantly and discuss everything. We stuck strictly to the allowances for cabinets, flooring, etc so we would not overspend. That is where spending can really get out of hand. There were a few things that were unexpected but in general we loved it and would do it again.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Well, I did this, I custom made my house to my liking, I got to pick and choose every material and my own floor plan with certain specifications, it was a lot of work, a lot of hassle and a lot of stress, I do not think I would do it again, once is more than enough!

Answer by older at 8:04 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I agree with Older, it was not something I'd do again. And if I'd known then what I know now, I wouldn't have done it the first time. It was extremely stressful, and we had to be onsite almost every day. Every little thing I had to choose. It was a lot of work. We tried to save money by doing our own sanding, painting, nail hole filling.. and it was miserable. I was exhausted all the time. We chose a floor plan that suited our life style, but it is a little unusual, so I'm not sure about resale. What we should have done was to hire a builder who handled all of the contract work instead of trying to be our own contractor. Or better yet, buying in a development where all you have to choose is the floor covering and cabinet covers. Then we would have had a place with good resale value, and conventional details. Something that did work out for us was that we wanted exterior maintenance free, which we do have.

Answer by Bmat at 8:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• In theory is sounds like an amazing idea but realistically...well let me tell you, my cousin and her husband went on this venture...let's just say that they were divorced before the build was done.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I don't believe I would do it again either. It was a lot of work plus I had to pay for things I wouldn't have had to with an existing house, such as grass, trees etc. I will never get that money back if we move, which may happen considering we are only 30.
    I also had to pick out every little detail, right down to the hardware on my cupboards. I love my house because I designed it, but there are still things I didn't think about or things I would like to change just like I would've done with an existing house. Oh and I had to pay full price too I would've never bought an existing home for full price.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 8:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• We are building our own and loving it. We have no contractors or builders, just occasional help from friends. We're not building a conventional home by any stretch. What was planned originally were two cordwood homes (one for my parents and one for us), and two guest cabins. We're just finishing the first guest cabin, a total craftsman sort of home. It's 499 sq ft, vertical board and batten using scrap lumber from the sawmill (one flat board, one round). All of the bark had to be peeled from the rounds, all of the lumber has to be cut piece by piece. I have some pics up on my profile. We're laying carpet and tiling the bathroom this week and than mom can move in.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. DH and I work well together ~ for others, as bosses, and by ourselves. A lot of couples can't ... but for us it is perfect.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:28 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It helps if you are married to an all around handyman and have reliable, honest craftsmen to do the work.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Sigh. We would LOVE to build our own house on my husbands family farm. We picked the perfect spot by a pond. Then we could not agree with the direction of the driveway. So we bypassed that and went on to the brick. Stand still on the brick. I like tans and browns and he likes reds UGH. Okay bypass that he wants vinyl for trim and where the vinyl trim is supposed to be I want to do stucco. Sooooooo I don't think we are going to build, which is a waste because the spot we picked is just on top of hill and overlooks a pond.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I love the idea of being able to pick out everything, from the type of doors and door knobs, tile, carpet, kitchen, everything. I hate most floor plans cuz they're always annoying in some way. I love open floor plans. But I would only wanna do it if i was in a house already that I could stand being in for over a year. You can't rush the process because it just makes it that much more stressful. It would be so hard to be waiting on it because it seems like the work gets done so slow. Also make sure you're going to be able to be in the new house for a long long time because why go through the stress to build and then move a couple years later? My husband is in cabinetmaking, and his brother is a housebuilder, so if we did build it would be easier and cheaper for us, but I still wouldn't wanna do it yet because we're not sure where we'll end up in a few years.
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:01 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Well we hired a builder, but still the choices were ours. I think you should be able to pick and chose what details from construction on down to paint. It is your home.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2010