i feel awful......

my hubby has been asking for a netbook for quite some time now. his birthday is this friday and i picked one up over a month ago thinking at the time if i financed it that we could swing it. i didn't think it over as much as i should have and wanted to please him. i was hasty in that decision. we simply can't afford it. we had to get help paying our bills and are expected to get more help for next few months. we get help from our church. his work always slows down at christmas. we'll be lucky if he works 2 wks in december. i had forgotten to pay our utility bill and we have some unexpected problems that really have put us in a bind. i strongly feel that we should work at paying off our debt and not adding to it. we can buy one later when we don't have to struggle to pay our regular bills. as it is we are scraping for gas money. i have asked him to please return it. he never opened it. i took it back. i told him what i did. he is pissed. i understand and i feel awful. i wish that he could see my point of view. i feel we shouldn't buy toys anyway so that was also a driving force. any credit we have is cause of me so he can't buy one on his own. i just don't want to use our credit cards and start being wiser with our money. i know i'm giong to get girls telling me how awful i am and i do feel awful but in the long run this is a decision that i think will benefit us in the long run and he will see that i was right! or am i? should i go get it now even though it's not on the 0 interest? i can't stress enough how broke we are. i screwed up big time and i don't think there is anything to do to repair this other then go buy it. what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• You don't have the money to be buying that. People are going out of their way to help you pay your bills, I know I wouldn't help anyone with bills if I knew they were spending their money buying things just because they want them... This is not a need it is a selfish want. I want a lot of things to but do not buy them when I don't even have the money to pay the bills that I already owe. He needs to grow his ass up.

tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 8:09 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Is he a big baby? He should understand his own financial situation with you. Doesn't matter whose fault it is, if there is no money then there is no money. Tell him to stop living in La-la Land and get with reality. Sorry if this sounds harsh but he sounds like a petulant little kid.

You should now lay down some rules about no more frivolous spending and stick to them yourself as well. Debt doesn't go away on its own.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 8:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Don't get it. Yeah it sucks but such is the way of things. Getting out of debt and making your own way is by far the wise course. He's mad now but he'll get over it eventually, or he should. Just do something smaller for his birthday or maybe make the splurge to get him a really nice cake or something, like from coldstone or whatever, if he's into that.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 8:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I don't see what you did wrong other than miscalculate a situation and then you corrected it accordingly. If he doesn't see that, then just give him time to get over it. Don't go get anything now. Hell...you can't even give the kids gifts...which is what the season is about...making them happy...why should he get one? Stop stressing...it sounds like you have plenty of REALLY important things to worry about. Good Luck!
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:08 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• You shouldn't have showed it to him, and you should have returned it yourself, this way he wouldn't have been so pissed. That is like giving a kid candy and then taking it away! You have the right set of mind, you are right you just went about it the wrong way.

Answer by older at 8:08 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think you made a wise decision. Sometimes you just have to put your foot down. I don't understand why he is acting like a baby when money is so tight. Tell him when the money is situation is under control you will get him a notebook. He needs to grow up. Life happens.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 8:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2010