Obama calls for 2-year freeze on federal pay

What does this mean exactly? I mean...will they not be getting paid or will there just be no increases??? I now its a stupid question...but i won't know the answer if i don't ask!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I would assume there would be no increases but I didn't see the article.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:11 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• They have to endure like the rest of us.....without a pay raise. I not only haven't had a pay raise, but also had to give back 2% and then return to my salary of 3 years ago. I lost my pay for my master's degree and will not get it back. Welcome to being a teacher in NC. Funny, we all gladly gave it all to keep our job, and now, they are thinking of firing 13,000+ teacher assist. only having them in kindergarten, and firing another 5,000+ teachers. NC will build a road at the drop of a hat, but can't keep teachers.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• From what I've heard, it only means that the inflation increase is frozen, not their yearly increase from how many "levels" they've gone up that year. It's all very confusing. The bottom line is, it's not much of a freeze. It's all a show.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 9:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It equals about 1.2%.................that will surely fix things!!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

Answer by yourspecialkid
    **********************************

If it was 1.2% in the other direction you'd be shouting it from the roof tops.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It's too little, too late. He should've been concerned about the deficit BEFORE he spent the trillions of dollars. And it doesn't even make sense. Why should civil servants give up pay? How about we NOT SPEND money we DON'T HAVE! Then people can keep the pay they've earned, or been given anyway, and we can get out of this recession.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 9:54 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• There are no simple solutions to this massive deficit that's been building since 2001. Whether it's for show or not, I've read many a complaint from some women here about how our government officials should be suffering along with the rest of us. Obama, it appears, is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't with that crowd. Even if I didn't like the guy, I'd start to feel quite sorry for him, because it doesn't matter what he does, he simply can't please some people, and as someone else pointed out, had he been anyone else who had announced this pay freeze, there would be cheers and accolades for the man.  President Obama is hated by some simply because he is President Obama and ran on the Democratic ticket.  Anything he does or says becomes suspect to his haters--even if he does what they complained he should do.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Does he include his own pay in this? What about other politicians pay?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:07 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

from what i was reading it does inculde him and congress.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Actually, jsbenkert, Obama could please me with some policies he could pass. He could NOT spend money on unneeded vacations and stimuli, and he could pass the tax cuts. That would please me!
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 1:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2010