Newborn questions - breastfeeding, shivering...

We just got home today with our newborn who was born on Saturday and I have a few questions....
1. He shivers. Like all the time. Is that okay?
2. He hasn't peed all day but he has pooped. The nurse said as long as he pees once he is fine. But he hasn't....Is that okay?
3. I am trying to breastfeed. My milk hasn't come in yet. He doesn't stay awake that long to feed more than 10-15 minutes. What can I do about that? I feel like he isn't getting enough and that is why he isn't peeing. They also told me to just let him eat when he acts hungry...well if I did that he prob. wouldn't eat at all because I have to wake him up to eat otherwise he just sleeps!
Any breastfeeding tips?? Tricks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think you are stressing too much! calm down, momma! is it possible he peed when he pooped? or peed so little you didn't notice? if it worries you don't put a diaper on him so you can know for sure. shivering could just be hormones, sometimes women shiver when they are coming off the "pregnancy high" of hormones and babies can have have that too. if you're wondering about him getting enought google the size of a baby's stomach and see what you come up with. pretty soon you will be feeding on demand so just enjoy the time you have with your baby and sleep when you can instead of worrying.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Your baby should be wetting diapers, call the nurse line at the hospital to see what they have to say. Don't know about shivering, is he cold? As for nursing, 10-15 minutes is just fine. If he falls asleep nursing and is still latched let him keep going. A lot of the time if you tickle his feet or rub his back he will start actively suckling again. At this point waking him to nurse every 3 hours day and night will help you establish a good nursing habit with your baby and will help your milk come in.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:18 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• 1) dress him warmly and cuddle
    2)are you sure he has not peed? They only pee a tiny amount you should sniff the diaper each changing and look for a 'sweet' smell.
    3) nurse as frequent as he wants. You can try unbuttoning his gown, tickling his feet and even a cool damp cloth to help him wake up long enough to eat. Have you had a weight check sine Sat? You may want to go get one tomorrow to make sure he is not loosing to much to fast but do not let the nurses bully you into using formula if you don't want to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:18 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I just wanted to say congratulations!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Shivering can be normal.

As for the feedings. your colostrum has more nutrients in one drop than one table spoon of breast milk. As for wet diapers. we are not talking soaked diapers, you are talking about moist or dampness. You may even need to feel it with your hands to see if it is damp.

Give yourself a couple days and your milk will come in. Your colostrum is doing what it needs to do. Relax and nurse on demand or every 2-3 hours. And in 10-15 minutes, he will get enough to fill his belly.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• 1. I have no idea about the shivering. Did he do it in the hospital? Did you ask the nurses or his doctor? That would be a little concerning to me.

2. He should probably be peeing at least 1-2 times a day, but it may be just a very small amount if your milk hasn't come in and that's fine. Do you have the diapers with the line that tells you if the diaper is wet?

3. Normally, it's fine to let baby sleep for a few hours at a time and just let them tell you when they're hungry - but if you feel the need then change his diaper, keep him partially undressed, coax him to latch by expressing milk and rubbing it onto his lips, then gently compress your breast or rub his chin while he's feeding. Just be mindful that you don't compress your breast too close to the areola (which will pull your breast out of his mouth) and not to do so too forcefully as to cause the flow of milk to choke him.

Really, he's probably fine, though.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 8:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Shivering is normal. A brand new nervous system needs some adjusting time. General rule of thumb baby needs one more layer than you do. Hard to tell if they pee with the super absorbency of a diaper. Six to eight wet diapers a day and they are getting enough to eat. Breastfeeding takes practice and patience. Drink plenty of water. 10-15 minutes is all it should take to fill that tiny tummy. Feed every three hours at least. Try undressing baby to the diaper for feeding. The slight chill will wake him up. Give him a few days to adjust.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:29 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• You have been given great advice here. I was just thinking that babies SHOULD come with instruction manuals! Congrats to you and your family!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• They have covered everything that I would have told you. And I'll reiterate that you will need to FEEL the diaper to see if it is at all moist, these super absorbency diapers are designed to hold waaaayyy more pee than a new born can even hold. If it is moist/damp, count that as a 'wet' diaper.

If you want to make sure that he gets enough to eat, and establish a good milk supply, the rule of thumb is that every time he opens his mouth, shove a boob in it.
    Congratulations, and good luck :) Its not easy, but you're doing the absolute best thing in the world you possibly can for him!

BTW- almost forgot, the shivering is normal. Its a nervous reaction to all of the stimulation. He's been floating around in warm water for his who life, all of these feelings are new, and over stimulating. He's fine. All 3 of mine did this.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• When you wrote this your baby was only 2 days old. Full term babies are born with extra fluid. The small amounts of colostrum is all they need until milk comes in between day 3 and 5.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:20 AM on Nov. 30, 2010