What happens with all the gay marriages in CA?

Are they going to void them w/ some sort of action or are they going to pretend like they never happened. And will a court step in again and go against what the voters wanted?

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 4:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• thats what i was wondering.
    i think its kind of sad actually..

if they had a nice ceremony and all their family and friends were there. now its like nothing had ever happened at all :(
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• If the supreme court of CA had of listened to the people when we first voted on this issue this wouldn't have even occurred... however they did overturn it and the ppl of CA have spoken again and said.. marriage is defined as between 1 man and 1 woman. It does not take away the rights of couples.. and they are still allowed to have civil unions... just not be married in the traditional since. ACLU is currently suing of course? and The state attorney general, Jerry Brown, has said those marriages will remain valid, although legal challenges are possible.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 4:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• The marriages already performed will stand.

Expect to see this one back in the courts. And honestly, while the education code does indeed say that schools are to be taught the legal and financial responsibilities of marriage, with the exception of the marriage and family elective that was offered in high school (and very few people took), I never saw anything about marriage in school. Sex ed was strict left to the parenbiology, with morals left to the parents. Perhaps things have changed radically since I went to high school.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• So there are conservatives who live in California, actually I am just kidding I know that at least 46% of the Americans still have conservative values. This was the only good that came out of this election.
    Anonymous

• It is so disgusting to see the hate and ignorance people display when confronted with homosexuality.

I want one, just one good reason why gays should not be allowed to marry from each of you.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 5:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Most likely, the marriages will stand. That's why so many people were rushing to get married in the last few months.

As for the State Supreme Court not listening to the people the first time around... the Supreme Court is NOT supposed to listen to the people. Its sole job is to uphold the State Constitution. Which it did.
    The State Constitution said marriage was between two people. Yes, the people passed a law stating that marriage was between a man and woman only. The Court's job is to decide if a law is unconstitutional or not. In this case, it was.
    That is why it was written as a Constitutional Amendment this time.

So please stop gripping about judges overriding the will of the people. That's what their there for; to make sure we don't pass laws that are unconstitutional. It's the Legislature and the Governor who are supposed to listen to us. Not the judges. WE are part of the "checks and balances" system too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I think it's sad that this passed. If people actually care that "marriage" be defined as that between a man and a woman, then there should be no legal difference between that and the "civil union" you are telling these couples to settle for. Meaning, the "marriage" should only be a title.

Anonymous

• I am sad too that this passed. I bet there are gay couples out there that have been together alot longer than the 1 man and 1 women that the law says can marry. I have seen so many people get divorced that are hetero so the word "marriage" doesnt really have any meaning anymore. So how are the "gay" people of the country going to ruin it more? It pisses me off really that we can elect a "black" president into office but cant let people live their lives and get married!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Nov. 6, 2008