I found McCain's concession speech to be very moving. If he had acted as presidential as he did last night through his entire campaign I think that I may have voted for him. What are your thoughts?

I saw pros and cons for both candidates. My biggest con to McCain was the dirty and childish campaign he was running.

Last night I finally saw a side of McCain that I could admire... too bad for him it was too late.

Who else feels that McCain acted presidential last night? Thoughts? Opinions?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 4:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I heard the speech and my first thought was "If he had acted that maturely the entire race, he may have actually won"
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 4:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I agree. He really sounded sincere for the first time. Oh well - I wouldn't have voted for him anyway -- but I did respect him unlike the anti-Obama haters that are on here.
    Myboysmom08

Answer by Myboysmom08 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• i cried a little during his concession speech because i finally saw the candidate that i had supported so much in 2000.
    it's unfortunate but i think a lot of it has to do with the people he chose to run his campaign for him.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• John McCain's Speech was that of a true Patriot. One who has fought for his country and has dedicated his life to America...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I was a McCain supporter when he ran in 2000 and I also voted for him in the primary because I wanted to be in the position to choose between two great candidates that I respected. Over the course of the election I realized that he was not the same candidate that I was behind before. I blame his advisers this time around. They did not allow him to be himself - he was too Bushy. During his speech last night, he was the man I admired from before. Had he spoken that way throughout the entire campaign, we might have had a different result. His speech was gracious, moving, and very classy. Well done, Mr. McCain.
    crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 4:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• It was very gracious. THAT is how you take a loss with dignity. ::cough::
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 4:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I agree... I really did not like McCain at all during this campaign b/c of all the attacking and ridiculous robocalls and crap... I'm in Colorado so I got a TON of robocalls. His speech was great last night, very respectable, even with the audience flippin' out.

Maybe some of the women on here should take note of it as well... how to lose graciously.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 4:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I feel as if the way Obama campaigned there was no way to show that side of McCain. He was utterly amazed at what the American voters were believing as well. All anyone had to do was learn about McCain to feel proud to cast your vote for him. I was moved to by his speech I even shed tears it is just a shame a man who has served his country so long and with such dignity and honor lost out to a man no one knows anything about and to a man who hasn't done anything with his career except make people believe he can change things. If McCain would've been a democrat he would've won and I as a Republican would've voted for him. This was not a case where the best man won it was a case where Americans wanted a different party no matter the cost.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 4:31 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I did love his speech and I certainly didn' t like all the mudslinging but it came from both sides not just his. Obamas ads were just as negative and they ran more in fact. Its all politics but I think McCain is a much more humble person and is at that place in his life that he was truly ready to run the country but its over now and we have to move forward.
    Anonymous

• I thought McCain was gracious and the person he'd needed to be all along. After some of the desperation in his voice in the last two days of the campaign, it really was good to see that.

I would not have voted for him in any event as I do not agree with his positions. At the start of the campaign I respected him for the service he has given this country. I lost some of that respect as the campaign went on and became more and more vicious, and the selection of Sarah Palin made me question his decision-making. I regained a great deal of respect for Mr. McCain last night. I still would never vote for him, but I do respect his views.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2008