Regular cup at 9 months?

My daughter's Pediatrician in Fla always told me not to worry about taking her off the bottle or sippy cup until her teeth come in. She hasn't had a pacifier since she was 2 months, so we never worried about that.
I just recently moved to Nebraska and got on the WIC program here. I was given a stern lecture from the nutritionist there because my daughter wasn't fully on a regular cup. One like you and I would drink from. She said I should never give my daughter a sippy cup (she takes one during the day, only a bottle during night feedings its easier when shes half asleep) and that she should have been off the bottle at least 3 months ago. That would have made her 6 months. I've never heard of this.
Should I try to teach my daughter to drink from a regular cup?
All advice is appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

ModernMommie

Asked by ModernMommie at 8:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• unless that person will be coming and cleaning your floors, carpet, carseat, stroller, etc etc don't worry.

start getting her familiar w/ it as soon as she seems interested.... I think a good goal is bottle totally gone by 11-13mos and sippy w/ spout gone by 15-18 mos and sippy w/ straw gone by ____? my daughter is 4 (years) and drinks from a sippy w/ straw on long road trips, the zoo, when sick, etc. but standard meals at home of course are in a normal adult cup.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Are there other nutritionists you can deal with or will you always have to see this one? I have never heard of a baby being off thebottle at 6 months. And drinking from a regular cup by now? Seems too young to me. Other moms might have better suggestions...........GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• that sounds nutty! A 9 month old can't handle a regular cup!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• @snackattack - a wine glass? I'm kinda afraid to give her glass at all. Would it be okay?

@hibbingmom - She drinks from my glass at times and loves it. She doesn't really care for the bottle except at nights when shes partially asleep, I just assumed a sippy cup was the next step until she could hold only a cup on her own.

-BTW- She is my first, so of course, this is all new to me. Thank you all for your advice.
    ModernMommie

Comment by ModernMommie (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• @elizabr - She is actually the only one here, and they are only here twice a month. REALLY small town.

@butterflyblue19 - That's what I thought also.
    ModernMommie

Comment by ModernMommie (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• OMG sounds like a mess waiting to happen. Sippy cut ok but a regular cup this woman is crazy!
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 8:53 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Use plastic............no glass..........for safety
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Thank you @elizabr - That's what I was thinking, since shes curious, and likes to stick EVERYTHING in her mouth right now if I turn my head.
    ModernMommie

Comment by ModernMommie (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• wow this is new to me! That woman makes me feel like a bad mom, my son just turned one and he still takes a bottle at night and a sippy during the day-so far every attempt we have made at a real cup has ended in a big wet mess! Guess I need to step up my game!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• WIC thinks they know the ups and downs of everything and what they preech isn't reality. You do what YOU feel is right for your daughter and let them believe whatever they want to. If you want to teach your daughter to use an adult cup that's perfectly fine, but there is nothing wrong with a bottle or a sippy cup. I get lectured every visit because my 2 year old isn't using a straw cup or adult cup. He's still using a sippy cup. They also lecture me because my one year old is still on the bottle. I have plans of switching them both, but it has to be on our time not WIC's. You are her parent and you know what is best for her. You switch her when you feel she is ready. I just nod and pretend like that's the first thing I'm going to go home and do, but just brush it off the second I walk out the door.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2010