question for moms who are totally broke for Christmas?

How do you handle when a relative or a friend comes to you and tells you all the amazing presents they already got for their kids, and you know there is no way you can go out and do the same thing for your kids? Please dont bash, I go through this every year as a single parent and just want to know how others deal with it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Holidays

• Honestly? The people who are usually going out of their way to list everything they bought I know are people who aren't in any position to be spending that kind of money, so I usually just smile and nod, while thinking about the "I'm so broke" whining I'll be hearing from them this time next month. It's funny, I know a lot of people who were shopping this weekend and aren't bad off, but they aren't going around bragging about what they bought - they're asking about what good deals people found and looking for shipping and discount codes for places they plan to go.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:34 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I remind myself that I don't have to buy my DD's or my family's approval with fancy gifts. I also realize after seeing my ungrateful, spoiled, selfish neices and nephews, that my DD will not grow up so materialistic or expecting so much.

This year is my first child's first christmas. There is no way I can afford to buy her anything, so my DF and I have decided to start a new tradition of singing to her and reading her the story of Christmas in front of the fire, then presenting her with home made fudge. (she's too young for it this year, but I will have her a snack as well).
    ModernMommie

Answer by ModernMommie at 9:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I just say, " That is wonderful, but you know my financial situation and I feel bad that I can not reciprocate in kind. It will not hurt (child's name) if you return it and we don't exchange gifts between kids this year."

Most people will agree and if they don't then don't feel bad, you explained your position.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I just tell myself that I am doing the best I can for my kiddo plus family takes care of the presents if I cant buy them so that helps out a ton.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• That is the worst part of the holidays. The showing off and knowing that you can not compete with the madness that follows these holidays.
    Anonymous

• I am hoping that by next pay day we can get something. We are atleast putting up a tree. I would love t oget stuff but bills need to be paid.. maybe and hopefully with taxes we can get something.
    Anonymous

• i am also a single parent, and this year, i am COMPLETELY strapped for cash!! i still have nooo idea what im going to do for my daughter. my sis told me about all the stuff she got for her kids, and wow!! it just makes me feel like shit, knowing i cant do that this year. normally i have at least a couple hundred to spend on her..this year i dont even think it'll be $50. as for how i handle it, i just say "oh wow, your kids are gonna love that, theyre so lucky" or something along those lines.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My daughter is only one but Im hoping to start early by keeping it simple, that way down the road she doesn't expect more and is happy with our traditions. I would rather be the person that keeps it simple rather than the overabundant giver!! We all try hard to make holidays special for our kiddos and Im sure that you'll provide a great Christmas for yours.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 9:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• We're going through that this year, we just decided not to buy gifts for each other and only for our kids, we agreed on a small budget. If we didn't have any money, we would have just had a nice dinner and hung out as a family as we always do. :)
    babygirl2008200

Answer by babygirl2008200 at 9:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Christmas is much more then gifts. And if they have the ability to purchase an uncountable number that's great for them, but I'd rather have my family and Holiday goodies over presents. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to buy my family lots of useful and fun gifts, but since I am unable to I make the most of it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:26 PM on Nov. 29, 2010