Carols

I am an atheist, don't mind excessive decorations a celebrations of the Holidays, but I have very silly question: what exactly people do when a group or a couple of persons show up at your door and start singing Christmas carols?

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 9:15 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Do they still do that? I did that once when I was little. My grandma took us to houses that she knew though.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I haven't that happen to me except once a very long time ago, when I was a teenager and alredy unbeliever.
    But since then I have just been curious and many times you can see it in Holiday themed movies.
    BeaMoore

Comment by BeaMoore (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Traditionally, you're supposed to open the door, freeze to death while they sing, and then give them cookies. I haven't seen real door to door carolers in years, though. We went once with Brownies that I remember (and that would've been around 1980), and after that we always went to the nursing home with school.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• We go as a church group every to sing to the members of the church that are elderly or sick. They either come to the door to listen if they are able or invite us inside. We sing two or three songs, wish them a Merry Christmas, and go on to the next house.

We have also gone to sing at the retirement home a couple times for Christmas, but that is more like a kind of "mini concert" in a rec area rather than going door to door. That way, those that want to listen and sing along can come do so, and those that don't celebrate Christmas can remain in the comfort of their room without being bothered.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:55 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• That first sentence was supposed to read "every year to sing." LOL
    asmcbride

• I don't remember ever seeing carolers like that, but I grew up in a fairly large city. I used to sing with a group that would sing Christmas carols (and one Hannukah song) outdoors downtown to raise money for Habitat for Humanity.

I guess if they came singing and you didn't like it, you'd just stay inside and they'd eventually move on.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I'm no longer a Christian, but our church youth group used to go caroling when I was a kid. I haven't had anyone show up singing Christmas carols in many years, but we moved to the south when I was 12 so I didn't know if it was a regional thing or just less popular than it was when I was a child. My mom's group was just talking about singing Christmas carols at a local nursing home next month, and I saw a couple of the officers were debating whether they should include religious carols or not. I thought that was interesting. I'm not sure what they decided would be best. I guess you can either ignore the doorbell if they show up at your door or you can open it and let them sing. No big deal either way--if they think you're not home, they'll just move on. Honestly, if someone is taking the time to sing to me in the freezing cold, I'd probably listen if I had time. I wouldn't be offended by the gesture.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• In the late sixties and early seventies, when I was still a young christian, we only went caroling to house-bound members of our own congregation, nursing homes, and such. I don't recall house-to-house-like-trick-or-treating type of caroling.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think you are just supposed to stand there and listen to them, no matter how long they go for or how cold you get. Never happened to me though, so I may be wrong.
    Groovyflor1

Answer by Groovyflor1 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Never had carolers at my door but if I did, I'd probably listen.  I like Christmas carols.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2010