Misrepresentation of used car warranty....

We purchased an 03 Buick Rendezvous the beginning of October that has turned out to have problems. Fortunately we were given a 3 month / 3,000 mile warranty and haven't had to pick up the tab on any of them. The latest has been the sunroof.
Our salesman said it was under warranty, would be fixed, and ordered the switch for it (after it had been diagnosed). The switch didn't fix it so we were given permission to have a larger dealership look at, while we were there having them fix another problem. Now they have come back to say that the sunroof is an accessory and NOT covered under warranty.
My husband and I called on 2 seperate occasions to ask if they were going to fix it, that the salesman said it would get fix and was covered under warranty. It is a $300 fix. The manager won't budge and says it isn't covered under warranty. I said I was ready to wash my hands of it, never buy another vehicle from them again and tell everyone I know about our bad experience (how they don't back their salesman's word, won't fix it, etc). He said he was content with that decision as well!
I am SO mad.
I am thinking of calling our salesman in the morning and asking if he is going to do the right thing by telling his manager he made a mistake by telling us it was covered under warranty and it would get fixed (even attempting to fix it by replacing the switch and not mentioning it was a 'courtesy' by doing so... I really think he didn't understand the warranty.).
What can and should I do with this??? It isn't a very large dealership but has been around for decades.

dragonflylovr19

Asked by dragonflylovr19 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• Read your warranty. If its not covered there really isn't anything you can do. They won't fix it.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 9:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Warranty has nothing to do with dealership. They are underwritten and managed by outside companies. The manager cannot force the warranty company to cover something that isn't covered, even if the sales guy mistakenly tells you it is.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Take the salesman to Small Claims Court and file a complaint with your local Better Business Bureau.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 9:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• The dealership isn't responsible for the warranty its the warranty company. Try to talk to that company to see what you can do.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• If it isn't cover than there is not much you can do, if you had paid out of pocket after the salemen said they would cover it that I would take them to small claims. If it has not been done and it is not covered there is not much you can do, check your warrenty. If it were me I would be a little pissed but I would rake the sale men through the coals for a honest mistake we all make them he has probably gotten in trouble now anyway.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 9:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I guess that answers my question :) Thanks for the replies.
    I guess I just feel that since the salesman said it was covered and he would get it fixed (even attempting to) that the dealership should back up his word and fix it and let it be a lesson for the salesman!
    I know life isn't fair but just feel like it is the 'right' thing for a bigger business to do!
    I still might call him in the morning ;)
    dragonflylovr19

Comment by dragonflylovr19 (original poster) at 9:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• You're right daisysrdeadly, I never thought of it being an honest mistake and he probably did learn a lesson from it! Thanks!
    dragonflylovr19

Comment by dragonflylovr19 (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2010