can a hospital/clinic really do this

my child had an episodic break veery bad. I calls a local psych to see if we could bring her in tonight for an emergency. they ask me what her IQ was. I dont know it casue I lost the original paperwork. They tell me that we cant bring her in because we don't know her IQ an they don't see anyone with an IQ 55 or less.
Is that true or even possible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Health

• If it is their policy, yes they can. Next time I would just take her in. As long as they are a public facility they have to see you if you go into the ER.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yes, if that's the clientele they serve. It sounds like you attempted to take her to a specialty clinic, and they assessed that she hasn't been determined to meet the cirteria for admission to their facility.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• That is an odd policy.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Absolutely they can. If they aren't prepared and staffed to deal with a certain population, they would be incorrect to accept those persons as clients, it would be inappropriate.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 9:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• That's true Gaccck. I guess I just think it's odd because I've never heard anything like it before.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Private clinic, Private Hospital - YES.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Wow I did not know this was legal. I was trying to take her to one of the few psych ward to adolescents in our area. The local childrens hospital called me an said they were goin to take her in now. Im just waiting for the Mental Health Van to come an get her. but i have trully never heard of this rule. i have never had to take her in before.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• they prob can since they could say she would need special attention that they can not provide
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2010