Should I start baby cereal and food?

I just wanted to know how old your little one was when you started him or her on baby cereal and jar food.All of my friends that have babies right now that are 4-5 months old can feed thier babies cereal.My 4 month old had her 4 month check-up today and my Dr told me that she wants me to wait till she is 6 months to start giving it to her.I have two older boys and I know they were 4 months when I started giving them cereal and jar food.She said if she went thru a growth spurt she would be drinking alot more and if I feel like she is hungry all the time I can start giving her alittle bit of cereal for a week or so and then start with the veggies before anything else.Not sure what to do at the moment.Any suggestions?

butterfly7909

Asked by butterfly7909 at 9:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They say nowadays that between 4-6 months is fine, so if you want to wait to 6 months, then wait. My doc said 4 1/2 months but I waited til 5 months. Do what your instinct tells you.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 9:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My Dr told me to wait until 6 mo to start food but then at his 4 mo appt he told me to go ahead and start him on some vegis. I use only the ones with the supported sitter label from gerber.
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 9:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I would wait until 6-12 months before starting solids and skip cereal, which is completely unecessary and devoid of nutritional value, altogether.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 9:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My son is a wk shy of 4 months and already has had alittle baby food. I make it myself so I know exactly what is or isnt in his food but anyway do what you feel is right. I knew my son could handle it and I knew he was ready for it. I only did enough for him to taste it alittle. No where near enough to cause harm or to fill him up as to not want to nurse later on. Doctors opinions change with whatever fad is going on at the time. You as a mom will know if you LO is ready. trust your instincts!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 10:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Cereal just makes them feel full. It's not really nutritious. You don't have to feed cereal ever. And it gives most babies constipation.

If your baby has a tooth, then go ahead and start on mashed veggies and fruits. If there are no teeth yet, hold off. Teeth are an indication that the baby is ready to eat.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• The latest recommendation is that formula and breastfed babies wait until 6 mo to start solids. There is never any need for cereal or commercial baby food. Babies can be given fork mashed banana or sweet potato to feed themself as a first solid. Cereal is hard to digest, causes constipation, and isn't a good food for infants. It was invented to get iron in infants before iron was in formula. Just because you started solids at 4 mo with your other children doesn't make it right. Breastmilk is best for brain growth. If not breastfed, formula is better than cereal or other foods. Brain growth is the most important developmental task in the first 12 mo. Babies need to get at least 32 oz formula until 12 mo. If a formula fed baby goes through a growth spurt the best thing is to give more formula not to substitute cereal.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:00 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• If you feel that your baby is ready for food, then go ahead and start giving her a little bit.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:00 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I learned that solids are not nutritionally necessary between my first and second children. I did not try to force my second to eat solids just because that's what I did with his brother. I knew better, so I did better. Your doctor told you to hold off until at least 6 months for a reason. You should not give your baby solids just because that is what you did with your other children. The AAP's recommendation is 6 months for all babies.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• You should wait to give your baby solids until she shows all the signs of developmental readiness (i.e., sitting up, interest in food, able to use the pincer grasp, can pick up small objects, loss of the tongue-thrust reflex, etc.). That happens earlier in some babies than in others. General recommendation from the AAP these days is to wait until at least 6 months. Also, marketed baby foods, like cereals and jarred foods, aren't necessary at all. My daughter went straight to table foods at 7.5 months, not mashed or anything, and it was the easiest process ever. Google "baby led solids".

And teeth have nothing to do with being ready for solids. Molars are what you use to chew foods, and the first set of molars doesn't usually come in until around the first birthday, and not many people hold off that long. If it's easily mashable between your fingers, it's fine for baby's gums.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• You can start feeding your baby cereal or baby food around 4-6 months i was told by my daughter's doctor that i can start giving her cereal when shes 4 months and at 6 months i can start giving her baby food whatever you think is best ..
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 4:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2010