how much formula should my three month old be drinking and how often?

b628btb

Asked by b628btb at 6:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let baby set the pace, learn cues and feed when hungary. Children will eat in spurts. You should not make your baby go hungry because it is not eating time, or force him or her to eat after they are full or if not hungary in order to meet a magic number. The way to gauge if baby is getting enough (again never make baby go hungary) is the number of messy and wet diaper. 6-10 wet diapers and 2 messy diapers is normal at 3 months. Look up the exsact numbers if you are worried. The only sure fire way to guage baby's gain with wehigt, go to your well check! Dr will definatly adress a baby that is not gaining enough. I would make only a small amount until you know baby's intake habits, it is very important to throw out formula that has been out for over 2 hours, and question formula that has been out for an hour. Bacteria grows fast in formula! It is warm and sugary, a good place for germs to grow.
    emmyem

Answer by emmyem at 6:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Ditto. Each baby is different my daughter is 4 months old and most 4 months old are drinking 6 ounces. However, she only has 3 ounces. She has more than doubled her birth weight and is happy and healthy.
    Anonymous

• All babies are different... but she should probably be getting 6 ounces every 3-4 hours... a 3 month old should still be drinking a lot. Don't try to put her on a schedule. Feed her when she's hungry!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 7:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• All depends on baby. My son is 3 months he is drinking 8 ozs. every 6 hours.J
    adrianne800

Answer by adrianne800 at 10:35 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I have never planned when and how much my daughter will eat. She is 3 months old and I learned very early she will let me know when she is hungry and when she is finished! I do know some babies forget when to stop and will spit up so if they are spitting up a lot then you might want to watch the amount they are eating but for the most part just watch for the cues!
    zlcjones

Answer by zlcjones at 11:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2008