Do anti-depressants work?

I have been off and on different types of anti-depressants for about 4 years now? I know that you're not supposed to quit the medicine without talking to your doctor, but to me they don't seem to effect me in any way. My husband says that he can tell the difference as to when I am on them, but I still feel really down and I feel like I have this rage that will not shake loose, no matter how many good days I have or if I take medicine or not.

Thoughts, anyone?

YoungLovinMama

Asked by YoungLovinMama at 9:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Health

• You should be doing therapy WITH the medications and stopping anti-depressants cold turkey is not good....you should taper off of them.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:52 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• YES!!!
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 9:53 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Medication alone? No, not nearly as well as they could. Therapy and antidepressants can be effective. And oftentimes, therapy alone without the use of any medications can be very effective as well.
    In addition, antidepressants may not be the best treatment for what you describe as a "rage". You should seek the opinion of a psychiatrist or psychologist, for a full evaluation of your situation.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 9:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Therapy and medication works best. Please be careful with your medication, it's not a good idea to just stop them.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It only works if you work with it. Like my psychologist said meds aren't a happy pill they just help you get over the hump. So you have to work on yourself along with taking the meds.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My doc has me on Zoloft for anxiety & depression; it's really helped me a lot. You didn't say how long you took the pills before you stopped each time? Sometimes they can take up to a month before you really start noticing the effects. Also, therapy or a diary is a great idea... I myself prefer to draw & box, but to each their own... just so long as it's a healthy outlet. & doll, I'm a nursing student... PLEASE don't stop any more anti-depression meds cold turkey! We're studying medicines right now, & doing that on some of these meds can stop your heart. Hugs! Hope you find a solution that works for you.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• You are so not alone, I started meds 3 years ago and I always felt immune to them so my Dr would change my RX, well she put me on Cymbalta, which btw DO NOT TAKE! It really helped but it was a BITCH to get off of! I reduced my dosage and then switched to another drug and then I quit that drug but OMG it took forever for the head twinges and the raging thoughts to go away. It honestly took my body three months to get that stuff out of my system. I will never take them again. I honestly quit taking them because I felt it was time to quit. You will know when it's time. Also your spouse has to be very patient when you do quit them, it's a long process. Good luck!
    nbaker1227

Answer by nbaker1227 at 10:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Been on anti-depressants for several years, yes they work. I had to try several different ones before finding the one that was effective. I take Wellbutrin. If you're feeling 'rage' though I might suspect a hormonal imbalance as well. Don't give up, being happy and functioning is worth it, keep trying!
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 1:22 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• They can be a useful tool, combined with therapy

Answer by rkoloms at 6:11 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• They only made me live in a crazy fog and not care much about anything. Plus the side effects freak me out a little. I switched to herbs and vitamins and feel way better.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:17 AM on Nov. 30, 2010